Implementing Microsoft with Data Warehouse Developers
In the world of development, the term “data warehouse” can be heard a lot more often lately. Currently, it is one of the most promising technologies businesses of all sorts are tending to use. However, there are still some companies and private entrepreneurs that have no clue what is data warehouse and what possibilities it might open up for you.
Therefore, let’s talk more about warehouse development and data warehouse developer skills in this article.
What Is Data Warehouse: An Introduction
The term itself was used for the first time back in 1988 by Bill Inmon who is up to this day being considered as the creator of this concept. What is data warehouse in this case? Well, according to Inmon, it is a data set that was created to support decision-making by managing personnel and it has the following features:
- all the data is subject-oriented
- all the data is integrated
- the data pieces are connected to different time frames
- the data is unchangeable in time
Basically, data warehouse it is a specifically organized array of data that belongs to a certain company or organization and is processed and stored in a single hardware and software complex, which provides quick access to operational and historical information, multidimensional data analysis, obtaining forecasts and statistics in sections of the agreed regulatory reference information.
The development of data warehouse requires the skilled and technically knowledgeable data warehouse developer, consultants and data warehouse analyst to develop high-quality data warehousing solutions.
Data Warehouse Development: What Is Data Warehouse Developer?
As we have already mentioned, data warehouse development is getting more and more popularity these days. However, where exactly this technology could be used? Usually, there are a few most common reasons for when companies should think about hiring a data warehouse specialist:
- When a company has a big load of data. It can be phone calls, emails, financial transactions – any sort of information, the only criteria for the data warehouse development implementation is the big amount of that kind of data.
- The need and desire to analyze the previously discussed data. Also, the analysis should be as broad as possible – from at least one day to even a few years.
Another great thing that data warehouse consultant can do for your business is that now you can customize your data warehouse software by developing custom tools and applications with the help of an expert data warehouse consultant and implement them in the warehouse management platform. The data warehouse engineer can also help in improving the customized use of the warehouse management system by integrating the new tools in the marketplace.
Data Warehouse Specialist: Main Data Warehouse Developer Skills
As the data warehouse development process grows in demand and data warehouse software is being used even more often than before, it is only obvious that other company owners are getting curious about this technology as well. Hiring a data warehouse specialist is not that hard these days, however, if you want to find a truly exceptional one, you have to find out more about their job responsibilities first.
So what is a data warehouse developer and what does he do? Well, data warehouse developer is that specialist, who is responsible for managing those enormous amounts of data in your company’s daily workflow.
This is the person that is responsible for your company’s computers to store and process all the necessary data without any flaws. Junior data warehouse engineer will also be that person, who communicates with your whole development crew to make sure that your clients get the best possible result for their projects. Another thing to mention – a senior data warehouse developer is often responsible for your data security as well.
Finally, you need to know of all the necessary skills your future specialist’s data warehouse example resume must contain. The skills of a warehouse developer depend upon the platforms, tools, and apps used for a particular job position. In general, a good warehouse developer should have the following skills to grab better job opportunities in the marketplace.
- SQL Server
- SQL Server Coding
- Star Data Schema
- Extraction, transportation and loading (ETL) processes
- Dimensional data modeling
- Data table structure
- Data warehousing
- Business intelligence (BI)
- Relational database management system
- Reporting tools like Oracle reports 6i, Discoverer, Infocaptor and others
Sample Resume of a Warehouse Developer
A good sample of a warehouse developer should include technical skills, relevant experience and required academic qualifications. The level of job title will determine the depth of expertise and experience for that particular position. For a mid level career of a warehouse developer should have the following skills, experience and education.
However, alongside technical skills, your future employee should also have the following qualities:
- Team player. Developers of all sorts often have to work as a part of the team, so it is crucial that your future employee knows how to find an approach to his teammates.
- Perfect timing. When it comes down to the IT world – timing is everything. So your future data warehouse developer must know how to meet deadlines, as others’ work might depend on his performance speed.
- Great portfolio. Before you actually hire anyone for your team, make sure that you have checked their previous projects and how well they handled them.
Data Warehouse Solutions: How Much Does It Cost?
Data warehouse cost – is something every entrepreneur wants to know about as soon as they find out about all the benefits of data warehouse for one’s business. So for your needs we prepared a comparative table of data warehouse specialist hourly rate from various countries. Please note, that all the numbers were taken from Upwork.
|Rate per hour||$80||$75||$62||$80||$40|
As you see, numbers vary from one country to another. Mostly it can be explained by the level of economy in each one of them. The worse it is – the lower the wages will be. As can be seen from this table, Ukrainian data warehouse developers have the lowest wages out of all these countries. However, that does not mean, that there is something wrong with their services. Most business owners, who tend to turn to outsource from time to time, know, that Ukraine, in fact, is one of the best countries when it comes down to hire IT specialists.
Benefits of Data Warehouse and Its Disadvantages
Generally speaking, the companies choose data warehouse solutions that are comprehensive, rich-featured, easy to maintain, intuitive to learn and powered by the great community to support. However, these are not the only things to keep in mind while choosing between several data warehouse companies. So what are the main reasons for companies to turn to data warehouse solutions? Let’s take a look at the most prominent of those:
- You will receive a single corporate data storage system that is using single reference information. If you think about it, it is one of the biggest benefits of a data warehouse – keeping all your data at one place with quick access to it.
- You get the possibility of conducting a comprehensive analysis of your business. For example: which customers are the most profitable; which service is the most in demand with your clients, what kind of complaints are the most frequent and in which regions, etc.
- It becomes possible for you to analyze your business while using historical data. Often, operational (automatized daily business processes) systems do not allow this, they simply do not have enough space to store historical data and power for analysis.
- It becomes possible for you to connect and analyze information previously stored in different information systems. For example, traffic data for different branches is stored in billing systems from different developers. After the implementation of data warehouse applications, it becomes possible to analyze them together, in a single report.
- You receive the possibility of analyzing and crossing data of different types. For example, money and traffic, the number of personnel and the number of failures or claims, etc.
- Finally, you get a reason for a better calculation of the cost of your company’s services – based on information from the corporate data warehouse, it is possible to obtain more adequate data for the natural distribution bases.
As you see, there quite many advantages of data warehouse technology. Sure, there are some disadvantages of data warehouse as well. Probably, the biggest one so far is the extreme complexity of this technology. It might take you months or even years to fulfill all those data warehouse requirements, however, it will be all worth it in the end.
Top 5 Warehouse Tools
In the present data warehouse industry, there are numerous tools that are used by different companies to run their data warehousing management systems. Now that we have discussed prices and benefits of this technology, let’s get a bit deeper into the specifics of its successful implementation. The top 5 warehouse tools are described with details below.
SQL Server Data Warehouse
SQL Server based data warehouse is a Microsoft platform commonly used in the industries for the management of data both on-premises and in the cloud. The SQL server is a very powerful database server platform that has many great features to offer. The main features include:
- It is a very reliable and fast platform
- It is based upon modular structure to provide full flexibility
- It supports powerful security features and service level agreement SLAs
- It supports deep data analysis and business intelligence capabilities
- It is compatible with many other third party tools and applications
- It is powered by the great support of Microsoft community
TeraData warehousing platform is a comprehensive data warehousing solution with numerous great features, functions and capabilities that the modern businesses require the most. The main features of TeraData data warehousing solutions include:
- One of the powerful data warehousing solutions in the marketplace
- Powered by great features and capabilities
- Powered by great business intelligence to generate 360 degrees view of your business
- Intelligent memory processing to provide great performance
- It can be implemented on-premise, in the cloud or even on the numerous public cloud platforms like Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services and others
Informatica Data Solution
The Informatica data solution is a unified solution for data management, business intelligence and reliability of data operations. Informatica is one of the industry leading data solutions that are powered by many great features and capabilities. The main features of the Informatica data solution include:
- It supports multiple cloud platforms like Azure, AWS, Google Cloud and others
- It is a reliable, high performance and efficient data management platform
- It is capable of full data governance and industry compliances
- It offers deeper insight into the big data for new business opportunities
- It supports on-premises, cloud and hybrid solutions
- It is powered by great customer support
MySQL Data Solution
MySQL database solution is an open-source data management software system powered by the support, distribution and development of Oracle Corporation. It is a rational database management system with the following main features.
- It is a very fast, reliable and high performance database server
- It is easy to use and fully scalable
- It works very well on different platforms like Linux, CentOS, Red Hat, Solaris, Ubuntu, Microsoft, SUSE and others
- It uses independent modules on the multi layer servers to offer flexibility and freedom
- It easily allows to add other storage engines
- Supports numerous data types, which makes it more comprehensive in data processing
- It is highly secure and scalable for mission critical uses
- It is powered by the support of a huge community
Amazon Redshift is a fully managed data warehouse tool. It is used for big data analysis and business intelligence purposes. It is a highly efficient and cost effective data processing solution. It has numerous features as mentioned below.
- It is a petabyte-scale data warehousing tool
- It offers great visibility into the business intelligence from the big data
- It provides detail oriented reports on the data analysis
- It offers greater data compression, and data loading features
- It is powered by the AWS support
Hiring Developers: A Data Warehouse Overview
When it comes down to getting a new warehouse engineer on your team, employees usually have to choose between three main options – outstaffing, outsourcing and local hiring. Now, which one should you choose and why?
- Outsourcing. In case of outsourcing the client usually does not have access to the development process, his vendors are taking care of the project from the beginning till the end. However, this option allows one to reduce costs and worry less about possible problems along the way.
- Local hiring. The most expensive option, however, it gives you the best control over the development process and guarantees that the project will be done the way you want it to. On the other hand it limits your options of potential hires to the ones, that are located nearby.
- The software development industry is extensively adopting the concept of remote hiring in all domains of software development projects. There are many good reasons to do so. The main reasons include reduced development cost, improved team efficiency, access to highly talented resources and reduced burden of human resources management. The remote warehouse developers accomplish the development task more effectively and efficiently within the budget limits. The remote developers are cheaper than the outsourced ones and definitely cheaper than the local hiring of warehouse developers.
Data WareHouse: Hire From Mobilunity
As you see, data warehouse technology is definitely something, that is worth checking out. It can add something new to your company and significantly broaden its capabilities. Even though this process is not the fastest or the easiest one, that does not mean, that you should just throw the idea right away. Usually the only thing you should do to make things work – is to find the right vendor. And we advise you to start looking in Ukraine.
Over the years Ukraine became a true gem when speaking of outstaffing and outsourcing. Not only it offers low prices, but also an exceptional quality of all IT services and a big pool of talents. More than that, Hacker Rank placed Ukraine in the first 20 countries, that have the best developers in the world. Currently there are lots of companies that provide such services, however, not all of them might be suitable for you as much as Mobilunity.
The Mobilunity remote warehouse developer service is one of the best providers of remote warehouse developers’ service in Ukraine at a very affordable cost. This company has been on the market for quite a while already and its specialists are among the best in the country.
The Mobilunity provides dedicated remote warehouse developers to its clients at fixed prices without any hidden charges. It also manages the entire human resource management process and provides the professional grade workspace and required infrastructure for warehouse development remotely.
Another thing for you to keep in mind about this company, is the great amount of specialists that you can choose from while looking for your data warehouse developer.