How to Hire a Freelance SQL Developer in 2022?
SQL stands for Structures Query Language. It is a standard language used for the management, organization, and manipulation of information in relational databases. In this guide, you’ll learn why and when it is beneficial to hire a freelance SQL developer and what such a professional can do for your business.
SQL is a database programming language that is widely used to work with databases and perform all types f activities. This technology helps maintain, organize, and retrieve data for it to be used by different platforms. It can work with large amounts of information and perform several transactions at the same time.
The American National Standards Institute recognizes it as a standard technology for the backend of various apps and solutions. It is used by such companies as Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, Flipkart, and WhatsApp.
A lot of businesses choose to hire SQL developer for database management, which comes with several major advantages this language offers, namely:
- Portability. It can be transferred from one device to any other. It can run on local internet or intranet;
- Processing speed. SQL offers fast, effective, and secure work with the information.
- User-friendly architecture;
- Usage of English as the standard language, which makes it easy to understand for all users;
- Multiple data views;
- Open-source code;
- As an interactive language, it is easy to communicate and interpret.
When SQL is Used
There are several situations when a freelance SQL programmer is essential for the project. It is the right choice in such circumstances:
- Creation and management of relational databases;
- Performance of any standard database operations;
- Transaction control;
- Usage of SQL UNION or/and JOIN commands (view data from several columns at the same time like the customer information and previous orders);
- Creation and management of website backend;
- Creation and management of application backend;
- Library support and compatibility;
- Integration with Python and R;
- Powering Machine Learning projects and solutions.
When looking for a freelance SQL server developer, it is essential to know what skills and competencies you need for your particular project.
What is SQL Server
SQL Server is a relational database management system that is often shortened to RDBMS. It is a Microsoft solution that offers great functionality. SQL server is usually created on top of SQL to power interactions with relational databases.
Previously it worked only on Windows but since 2016, it is also available for Linux. An SQL server developer freelance uses specific architecture, services, tools, and editions to create and manage an effective and functional solution.
Important features of an SQL server are:
- Database engine consists of relational and storage engines;
- SQLOS – SQL server operating system;
- Server integration services;
- Data quality services;
- Master data services;
- Server data tools;
- Server analysis services;
- Reporting services.
As it is a product built and supported by Microsoft, the company offers official certifications to prove one’s skills. So whether you are looking for a PostgreSQL developer or a part time SQL developer, it is a good idea to look for an expert with SQL Server Certifications.
Those could be:
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Database Fundamentals SQL Certification;
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate
- Oracle Database SQL Certified Associate Certification
- IBM Certified Database Associate
- EDB PostgreSQL 12 Associate Certification.
The Skills of an SQL Developer Freelance
A crucial skill set defines the suitability of a professional for the project, whether you need a freelance PHP developer or a freelance remote SQL developer. Before you select and screen candidates, it is essential to know what to look for.
Here are the main skills of an excellent SQL developer:
- SQL proficiency, database creation, and management;
- Experience in integrated development environments (Oracle SQL, MySQL, or MySQL Server);
- Experience with cloud platforms like Azure, AWS, or GCP;
- Knowledge of Big Data fundamentals, Hadoop, and Hive;
- Work with Windows and UNIX operating systems;
- Experience in writing complex queries;
- Knowledge of data visualization tools like Microsoft Power BI or Tableau is an advantage;
- Analytical and critical thinking.
The Main Responsibilities of SQL Developer
The role of an SQL developer covers the design, creation, and management of databases and structures. A professional SQL developer part time is also responsible for data quality and security along with integration with other apps or solutions.
The main responsibilities of such an expert are:
- Design, create, develop, and maintain SQL databases;
- Maintain security and performance with regular evaluation and tests;
- Creation of database tables, dictionaries, structures, and schemes;
- Design and implementation of a database aligned with end-user needs and requirements;
- Development of SQL queries for integration with other applications;
- Design and programming various scripts, procedures, and triggers for automation and productivity;
- Fixing bugs and errors in databases;
- Developing a memory management system;
- Provision of regular backups, upgrades, and recovery when needed.
Sites to Hire Freelance SQL Developers
If you are looking for a part-time or freelance expert, it is possible to find one online. Here are the best sites to consider.
Toptal tests and vets the competencies and skills of professionals it lists. This ensures that you get matched only with competent developers. There is a decent database of programmers to choose from for various projects.
It is an outstaffing agency that helps one to find a suitable SQL professional. Here you can describe what skills you are looking for and expert recruiters will find a suitable candidate fast. This saves a lot of time and is extremely useful for those who have no technical background to vet a candidate’s performance and qualifications.
It is a global freelance platform where you can find all types of professionals. There is a great talent pool and a variety of SQL server developer hourly rates to choose from. Here you can post your job offer and wait for candidates to apply. After that, you can select the suitable one based on their resume and track record.
Hired also tests the professional it features on the site. You can manually look through the developer accounts and offer the job. If they accept, you are good to go. It is a safe and useful website yet the hiring process might take some time.
This is another website that evaluates candidates’ qualifications and even checks their soft skills to find a match for a team. The talent pool is decent and there are many experts to choose from. However, it is more suitable for continuous cooperation rather than one-time collaboration.
In-House vs Outstaffing vs Freelancers: Comparison Table
As the heading suggests, there are three ways you can recruit an SQL programmer for your project. Each has its perks and downsides and the final choice depends on your company’s specific needs and resources.
|Hiring Time||The longest hiring process as you need to find an ideal fit for the team||Often the fastest hiring method as recruiters can find suitable candidates fast||Hard to predict as it depends on a multitude of factors|
|Cost||The most expensive||Cost-efficient. Agencies take on many employee-related costs. And the rates in other countries are usually lower||Can be cost-effective as you do not have a lot of employee-related disbursements. But depends on the freelancer’s rates|
|Talent pool||Limited to the location and availability||Wide talent pool||Wide talent pool|
|Communication||Offline and instant||Online, fast||Online, mostly fast|
|Pros||Company fit, full control, dedication, and motivation||Budget-friendly, fast, and flexible, and offers a great talent pool||Cost reduction and opportunity to work on a project basis|
|Cons||Expensive,time-consuming, and talent is limited||Possible time zone differences and security concerns||Low retention, security risks, less commitment to the project, and risk of losing experts without an immediate replacement|
Benefits of Outstaffing in Eastern Europe and Ukraine
Eastern Europe and Ukraine are much more budget-friendly in comparison to the US, the EU, or the UK. This is one of the major factors why a lot of businesses choose this country for outstaffing.
Yet, it is not the only advantage. The other ones are as follows:
- Ukraine has an impressive talent pool of more than 200,000 IT professionals. They are valued for their high level of skills, quality of work, and experience.
- The country has a great IT infrastructure with a lot of R&D centers, offices of industry leaders like Microsoft and Samsung, and companies ready to provide various services.
- Local professionals have worked on many international projects and have a good command of English.
- Ukraine has similar business ethics to other European countries. This eliminates cultural differences and potential miscommunications.
- GMT+2 time zone is very convenient for European businesses because it allows for streamlining processes.
SQL Developer Salary Per Hour
An average SQL developer hourly rate depends not only on expertise but on geographical location. Here is a comparison table of average rates in 5 countries.
*Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
The difference between rates is significant in different countries. This means that outstaffing in Ukraine offers the opportunity to access high-level expertise for a much smaller price. It gives more opportunities for small and mid-sized businesses.
Mobilunity – Your Outstaffing Partner in Ukraine
Mobilunity is a Ukrainian outstaffing with more than a decade of experience in the provision of dedicated teams and IT specialists for businesses all over the world. Our team is experienced in finding the best suitable candidates and rare skills in a short time.
We also ensure flexible cooperation so a company can hire a part-time or full-time specialist. It means that you can have the best of both worlds – the flexibility of freelancers and security and quality guarantees from our company. We have provided teams, consultants, and developers from businesses from different industries and countries. Some of our satisfied clients are Zenchef (France), Vayomar (Israel), Paidy (Japan), BYG-E (Denmark), Buttonorder (Germany), Network of Arts (Switzerland), and ICUC Social (Canada).
Our team is happy to find the best SQL developer for your unique needs.