How to Hire С# Developer And Don’t Get a Pig in a Poke
Anyone who is somewhat familiar with the IT world knows about such programming language as C. There is hardly a more iconic language nowadays than this one. Most of the other programming languages that exist today were built under the influence of C. As you see, it is hard to underestimate its importance in the programming world. However, today we will talk about the programming language that was made based on it – C#.
C# Programming: A Brief History
C# is a modern and object-oriented programming language that was created back in 1998 by the team of developers navigated by Anders Hejlsberg. Originally this language was meant to be used for application development for Microsoft.NET platform and as an alternative to Java. However, eventually, it grew up to be something more than just that. Actually, due to Microsoft’s support, any C# programmer receives new updates more often than his colleagues, who operate with other programming languages.
C# language is based on features of C++, Delphi, and Smalltalk. However, C# programming does not include some features of these languages that showed themselves to be failing ones. This way C# is in some way a compilation of the most successful features of those programming languages. That is why any C# developer would probably characterize it as a hybrid language.
Another thing that you have to keep in mind about C# programming is that this is a compiled language. That means, that before you launch your application created with C#, you have to convert your code to binaries beforehand.
You now are probably wondering what C# is used for? Well, this particular language is a great tool when it comes down to creating Windows desktop applications and different games. This is when a C# programmer can do wonders. That is exactly modern companies very often want to have specialists like that on their teams.
Languages like C# and C++ are considered to be “general purpose programming languages.” The recommendation for C# shows its ability to accomplish a range of the most important programming tasks and do so effectively. Any junior C# developer has one of the most modern and feature-complete programming languages for accomplishing any technical task.
Here are some features of C# that make it one of the best programming languages in the world right now:
- Programmer-friendly – It combines the ease of use of Visual Basic with the power of Java or C.
- Object-oriented – The language makes it easy even for a junior C# developer to work with objects, classes, and inheritance. These features make composing large programs out of smaller modules easy to do. It also enables code reuse.
- Statically-typed – Static typing enables you to catch errors at compilation time.
- C-style syntax – The syntax of the language is simple to understand. It resembles that of languages such as C, Java, and others. This makes it easier for any future C# software developer to learn.
- .NET interoperability – The programming language interoperates with others on the .NET platform, making it possible to access libraries and code written in other languages.
- Visual Studio integration – C# is tightly integrated into Microsoft’s Visual Studio, which makes programming C# a breeze due to its advanced IntelliSense and code completion.
C# Programmer: How Popular It Is To Hire One Nowadays?
We say – very. It might be a really smart move to hire a C# programmer nowadays, as there are quite many of them. But why exactly things are this way? First of all, C# framework is one of the most versatile ones out there, allowing one to perform various tasks and working on different projects.
Currently, there are over 600 companies that are using this particular programming language. The biggest one among them is of course Microsoft. Nevertheless, other than that among big companies that would want to hire C# programmers is Stack Overflow, PedidosYa, Open Table, Coderus and many other. As you see, lots of top companies keep this technology in demand.
When asked which programming languages he thought were the most important, Bjarne Stroustrup, Danish computer scientist and famed creator of C++, had some exciting insights. Talking to Big Think, a technology show, Stroustrup recommended a number of programming languages, including, pointedly, his own C++, along with Microsoft’s C#, the open-source Java, widely used by Google and others, as well as Python.
When you hire C# programmer, for your team it enables you to implement highly technical software development projects rapidly and with bug-free code. Your options have expanded like never before, thanks to professionals in the field of C# web development in emerging tech centers such as Kiev in Ukraine, and others worldwide. Casting your net wide in the search for talent will enable you to find the right mix of developer skills and C# programmer salary.
Types Of Projects You Can Develop If You Hire C# Programmer
C# is the language of choice for many enterprise software development shops. As such, you will find it well-represented across the field of business software for enterprises or developed by enterprises. Some of the well-known C# programming examples in the field of web applications are:
- Microsoft Azure – Cloud computing and software deployment platform.
- PowerShell – Command-line shell for programmers and system administrators.
- Visual Studio – One of the most popular programming IDEs (integrated development environments), Visual Studio uses C# in combination with some low-level code to perfect the programmer’s coding experience.
Games with C# Android Development and C# iOS Development
In addition, C# is a mainstay in the game development field. Games for platforms like Xbox, as well as iOS and Android, can be developed easily with C# game development tools. Some notable C# game-related applications include:
- Bastion – highly rated action RPG game available on Steam and Xbox, also playable on Mac, Windows, Linux.
- Sol Survivor – 3D turret defense game.
- Unity – A leading, multi-purpose game engine and development platform.
- Weapon of Choice – award-winning Indie game.
- Auran’s Trainz – cross-platform train simulator game.
C# Network Programming, Banks, Web Apps, and Startups
C# backend development is also widely used in the financial sector. Many banks and financial services firms run on .NET and, thus, rely on developer C#. In the financial sector, C# is used for everything including trading systems, brokerage software, and web applications.
While the picture so far might make you think that C# is only suitable for very large teams, the reality is not so one-sided. Rather, C# is also effective even if you have a small team. Many startups use C# or have used C# in the early life of their software products. Some startups that have made use of C# include the following:
- StackOverflow – one of the most hip startups making software for programmer discussions, it uses .NET for its stack.
- Skype – communication platform that uses VOIP technology.
Main Differences Between a C and C# Developer
As we already mentioned, C# was created as a modern and more perfected version of a programming language called C. Therefore, its features are more convenient for almost any programmer that might want to use it. What are the main differences between these two though? Let’s find out:
- Garbage collection. The one great thing about C# language is that one would not have to worry about collecting the garbage anymore. While being a C programmer one would have to get rid of all unnecessary files manually.
- Versatility. If you are about to hire C# programmer, you probably already know, that by operating this programming language you can create pretty much anything. While if your programmer uses C, be aware that it is mostly used for writing a system level code.
- Type of projects. In the modern world web development holds the lead, therefore, C# web programming should be your main interest. This programming language is perfect when it comes down to creating web applications and majorly suitable applications. On the other hand, C suits more for tasks like hardware development, chip designing and system programming.
- The number of integral types. While in C there is only one integral type available, by using C#, a C# developer can operate two integral types.
- Area of use. C# software developer is your best option for hire if you are concerned about the design of your application. While C programmer usually works more with functions.
C# Developer Salary: What It Depends On
If ‘C# developer – how to hire’ is the question, that you ask yourself quite often lately, learning about their rates is something that you should do in the first place. With their skills highly needed by technical teams in a variety of domains, C# developers around the world enjoy comparatively high levels of rates.
In the U.S., for example, experienced developers can earn over $100,000 C# web developer salary in some locations. Locations close to Silicon Valley and other tech clusters tend to have the highest rates for C# and other developers. The average size of the income for C# is given at $88,872 by the job site Indeed.
Western Europe C# Salaries
Any C# programmer needed in the U.K can also enjoy a high level of C# developer salary. Data from ITJobsWatch lists the average at GBP 45,000. While fluctuating based on the exchange rate, this is around USD 64,000.
According to PayScale, in the Netherlands, C# developer salary is on average around Euro 40,119, which is around USD 49,500. In comparison, Germany has an average C# developer salary at Euro 41,213, or USD 50,800. On the other hand, if to speak about junior C# developer salary, it might have lower figures.
Eastern Europe C# Costs
While in Western Europe an average hourly rate for C# programmer is somewhat lower than the American averages, for many teams, these are still high costs. If you are looking to hire C# developer talent, chances are, you are faced with some tough trade-offs due to the high costs of development. As a compromise, you might be considering hiring interns or less skilled, entry-level developers.
The elegant solution to this dilemma is to look abroad, particularly in Eastern Europe in general, and countries like Ukraine. Eastern Europe has highly skilled workforces with expertise in technical areas such as software development. A number of countries in the region have highly developed information technology industries, including:
The Next Web reports that Eastern European companies are increasingly taking the lead in the fourth industrial revolution. I.T. development is a major part of this progress.
Ukraine and Poland C# Salaries
Hiring C# developers in Eastern Europe generally costs less than in the West and brings additional advantages such as improvement in the average skill level you can hire. In Ukraine, for example, C# developer salary is around $27,464, according to PayScale. In Poland, PayScale lists an average $24,691 salary for a C# .NET developer.
As you can see, your hiring costs in Ukraine and Eastern Europe will be less than in other technically advanced locations in Western Europe and North America.
C# + Xamarin/ ASP.NET/ .NET – What Is The Connection?
As we already mentioned before, C# is a highly productive programming language that can be implemented into solving process of various tasks. But just like any other programming language, be it Python or Java, C# needs an environment or a framework to be run at. This is exactly what .NET is for when it comes down to operating with C#. .NET is an open source platform for C# developers that allows them to build various applications. There are a few main features of this framework that you should be aware of:
- Great outside operability. Even if your application was developed outside the .NET framework, you still can assess its functionalities through it.
- Common runtime engine. When you are using .NET for your projects, you can be sure that all of them will have similar functioning in terms of memory usage.
- Language independence. .NET allows you to exchange data between two programs that were written in different languages.
- Convenient deployment process. There are multiple tools that are supposed to make sure that installing your new application will not interfere with already existing ones.
- High level of security. All applications that were created using .NET have the same security mechanism that ensures their safety.
ASP.NET is a platform for web application development that includes web services, program infrastructure and programming model from Microsoft. It was built as a modern and improved version of an older technology called Microsoft ASP. The main difference of ASP.NET from the older version is that due to the fact that it was built on the .NET platform, it now allows a programmer to use all its advantages. Among all other programming languages, that one can use while operating in the ASP.NET also stands C#. In this case, C# is most commonly used as a back-end development language.
However, if you are aiming for the creation of a mobile application, Xamaring might come in handy. Nowadays people use their phones even more often than their computers, so for any type of business, it is crucial to creating a mobile app that would work well on all kinds of platforms and Xamarin can help you do that. But what is Xamarin exactly? Well, first of all it is a software company that was founded back in 2011. A bit later it was owned by Microsoft and is now providing tools for providers of various cross-platform applications. And the most typical programming language that is used with Xamarin is C#. This way it is not a necessity for a developer to be proficient in all programming languages to develop cross-platform applications as Xamarin allows you do that even with being only a C# expert. This way with the use of Xamarin you can hire a C# programmer for your mobile application creation and be sure that he will do the job just as fine as any other programmer, who uses multiple languages.
C# Developer Resume – What To Look At?
While you are searching for the perfect member of your C# team, scrolling through all C# developer roles and responsibilities, it is probably a good idea for you to get familiar with C# developer resume sample and all the skills that one has to acquire to actually get the job. A good C# developer will typically show years of programming experience on teams where he or she had plenty of development responsibilities. The developer will need a mix of the following:
- Deep expertise in software development
- Systems-level thinking and system design ability
- Knowledge of C# strengths and problem areas to watch for
- Scaling and optimization experience
- Cross-platform skill with C# Android programming, iOS, and tools like Titanium
- Databases expertise with Microsoft SQL server and other data-access tools
- Knowledge of MVC development, and tools such as ASP.NET MVC for the development of web applications
As you see, the list is pretty extensive and involves various areas of expertise. However, if we were to speak of a senior C# developer resume, there would have to be a few more skills added to the list:
- Good time-management skills. Senior developers often have to work with various projects simultaneously, which requires them to have the ability to follow deadlines and adequately plan their working hours.
- Ability to work in the team. The ability to cooperate with other team members is crucial for any type of developer, not just C#. The success of the whole project very often depends on the quality of cooperation between all developers that are working on it.
- Positive attitude. Even if a developer’s skills are on the highest level, mistakes sometimes happen. So it is crucial for a senior C# developer to be able to quickly get rid of those mistakes and take in the criticism without negativity.
- Ability to cooperate with the customer. For a developer, it is very important to get a good connection with the customer. The better your dialogue is, the deeper will be understanding of the final product and therefore – the better will be the outcome.
Interview with C# Developer
To give you more information about C# programming language we have asked Maxim – our C# developer tell us more about it. Through this interview, you may learn more about C# Developer roles and responsibilities.
What is C# used for? When is it the better choice for development?
C# is an object-oriented language, commonly used in the development of the applications that run on the .NET Framework. C# can be used to create Windows client applications, Web services, client-server applications and database applications. .NET supplied with Visual Studio – an advanced code editor with convenient interface design, integrated debug tools and a bunch of other features that make application development easier. C# .Net is a good choice for enterprise-level technologies. It works well with high-load systems, complex architectures, and big data applications. .NET Framework is the scalable and reliable solution for large-scale projects.
Web applications are using ASP.NET Framework. An even Facebook website was developed by using C# language.
Here are examples of Windows Applications written in C#:
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and so on)
- SQL Server
Which C# opportunities attracted you to study it?
Since C# supports the wide range of object-oriented programming approaches such as inheritance, interface implementation, and encapsulation, it gives developers a lot of abilities to build flexible systems with complicated dependencies inside. For example, the well-designed project that contains various subsystems such as graphics UI, audio manager, event manager etc, can be built based on architecture patterns and can be easily configured by replacing these subsystems with their various implementations. This makes debugging, prototyping and improving much easier and faster; simplifies project support over the time. Also, C# allows working with files which are very useful in case of storing user data in the local storage. For the big amount of data, the project may use a MySQL database which is compatible with C#. Memory access gives an opportunity to optimize performance. This is important for the applications with the high amount of real-time calculations.
As a C# Programmer can you compare Java vs C#? Which opportunities can you pick up in each?
Both C# and Java are object-oriented languages. Java is similar to C# in many other aspects as well. However, there are also a lot of differences between them. For example, they are only Visual Studio as an IDE for building .NET projects, while Java is supported by at least four IDEs: NetBeans, Eclipse, JDeveloper and IntelliJ IDEA. Also, Java is compatible with multiple other languages such as Kotlin, Clojure, Groovy and Scala. Unlike the Java developers, .NET users can choose between F# and Visual Basic besides the C#. C# is suitable for software or web application that is built for Windows. In case if the project must be developed for platforms different from the Microsoft platform, like Unix or Linux, Java is the better choice because it is supported by the large open-source ecosystem.
Can you tell us more about projects you working with?
Mostly I am working on casual 2D Android games. Last serious project was a mobile puzzle game for Android and iOS. For this project, we’ve developed a flexible UI system based on C# Reflections. It was made for designer could set up scenes without programming. User data declared in special classes was accessible from the Unity Editor Inspector as a list of properties. This was achieved by combining C# feature and extending Unity Editor by custom C# scripts. Another project I was working on was a real-time multiplayer game with physics simulations. To provide smooth and relevant synchronization between players, there were two applications made by Unity. First was the client application and the second one – is game server instance that was processing all physics calculations within the game. This is common and the most reliable solution for this kind of projects and this helped our team to provide the stable game with relevant game objects behavior.
Which technologies, in your opinion, can compete with C#?
C# Development Outsourcing: Ukrainian Specialists
Nowadays programming tasks are among those that get outsourced the most. With C# being one of the most popular programming languages that is only obvious that many outsourcing companies provide their services with C# related projects. But when you will face the need to outsource your C# programming task you will face an obstacle – which company to choose? Currently, there are hundreds of those, how does one know which one is the right one? Well, for all that matters, we advise you to start looking in Ukraine. There are several reasons for that:
- High level of professionalism. According to Hacker Rank, Ukrainian programmers would hold the 11th place among world’s best developers. Also, Ukraine has lots of universities that teach IT specialties which make this country full of high-educated programmers, including those, who are proficient with C#.
- Low costs. As we already mentioned here, Ukrainian developers usually earn less, than those from other countries. So out staffing in Ukraine would allow you to considerably save money.
- Excellent performance. Ukrainian developers are well-known for delivering the best result possible and within the deadlines. So you can be sure that your project will be ready in time and will look exactly like you want it to.
- Flexibility. Who would not want a programmer, who is able to switch between different projects without lowering the quality of the outcome? Well, Ukrainian programmers can do that.
Another great option for you is to find a remote or freelance C# developer. Ukrainian specialists often prefer this type of employment as it allows them to freely choose the working place. There are many different job boards where you can look for one. For example on Djinni.co there are almost 200 C# and C developers, ready to be hired. Now that you know about the skills that your future programmer must have on his C# developer resume, it will be easier for you to find the right match.
Outstaffing a C# Programmer at Mobilunity
When you decide to outsource your C# project to a Ukrainian company you might at first get confused about which one to choose, as there are quite many. Well, among all that diversity there is still one company that stands out the most and it is called Mobilunity. What makes it so good though? Actually, there are a few reasons for that:
- A big variety of potential candidates for hire. At Mobilunity you will find more than just one C# programmer, which allows you to choose exactly the specialist you need. More than that, almost every programmer at Mobilunity is proficient in several languages, sometimes that can be of big help during the work on the project.
- Quick hiring. From the moment that you choose your C# specialist to the day that he starts working on your project it usually takes no longer than two or three weeks.
- Low costs. Mobilunity provides you with the best specialists for comparatively low prices. In addition, you will always know what you are paying for as all costs are absolutely transparent.
- Easy access. The main office is located in UTC +02:00 time zone, so you will not have any inconveniences with contacting your outsourced team.
- High level of professionalism. You can be sure that C# developers that you hire from Mobilunity are more than skilled for their job, providing you with the best result possible without any delays.
- Constant support. Mobilunity provides its clients with 24/7 customer support. So whatever problem you are having – be sure that it will be solved immediately.
- Transparency. You can get easy access to any C# developer resume you want while looking for a potential employee.
Having said all that, it becomes quite obvious, that Mobilunity is the company that combines a high level of professionalism with low costs, which is exactly what every business needs.
In this article, we discussed the benefits of such popular programming language as C#. Despite so many potential rivals C# still hold its positions for being one of the languages that modern programmers use the most.
Now, there are many options that you can use C# for. In some cases, it works excellently as a language for the back-end code. However, the area that C# is praised the most at is web application development. Due to its versatility, it can be used for various tasks, which is why big companies often have C# developers on their team. Also, because of Microsoft’s ‘patronage’, C# gets new updates pretty quickly.
If you are still having doubts whether it is a good idea to hire a C# developer, we advise you to do so. Your project will benefit from it greatly. Just do not forget about checking your C# developer resume and looking for those skills that we discussed before. You do not want to get disappointed in C# just because you chose a bad specialist.
Overall C# is an incredible programming language, that is versatile, easy to learn and use, has strong developer support and so on. Once you chose it for your project the only thing you will be wondering will be why you have not done that earlier.