Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Magento proved to be the most powerful online-business building platform that allows creating a secure, user-friendly, and fast website with a pleasant design and all necessary functionality. Being an ultimate solution for small online stores and complex e-commerce platforms, Magento keeps its leading positions in the e-commerce development sector. Not long ago, Magento 2 has been announced and now every business is concerned about Magento 2 migration services. Here you can find helpful information about Magento technology and a detailed guide on how to perform the migration process easy.
What Is Magento and Why You Should Worry About Magento Data Migration
Magento is an open-source technology based on PHP that is used for creating eCommerce websites and up to this time, more than 26% of the leading eCommerce corporations rely on Magento services.
According to Magenticians, such global entrepreneurship as Coca Cola, Ford, Rebecca Minkoff are using Magento to develop their online business platforms. Moreover, if to look closer, there are Gap, Nike, Samsung, Skype, 20th Century Fox who used Magento technology for their websites.
It was presented on March 31, 2008, by Varien on the platform of the Zend framework as an all-around tool for business owners that want to build a strong online store. Admins can access more than 5,000 useful add-ons and extensions from custom coupons to working logins with different permissions, which makes Magento extremely functional. Even if you are not used to coding, it is not a problem to integrate any new feature in your online store thanks to this variety of extensions.
Causes and Reasons for Performing Magento 2 Migration Services
Although last year Magento team officially announced that they will support Magento 1 till June 2020, so there were two years given for all users to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2, still, there are many companies that are just planning to move to the latest version. It worth noting that Magento 2 is not just an update; it is a new level of performance and usability that gives access to numerous new operational opportunities for online stores and other businesses.
So, let’s highlight why people are interested in Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration:
- there will be no features added in Magento 1 from now one;
- no official support for Magento 1 in one year;
- all customized features have to be done for Magento 2 from scratch;
- after all, everyone will move to Magento 2 because of new technologies approaching.
If we talk about customer experience as one of the core values of any company, here are the pros of using Magento 2 for your online store:
- +50% to loading speed
- easier to upload and edit content
- can handle more SKU data and daily requests as well
- better SEO features
- more options for mobile versions
On the other hand, once you switch Magento 1 to Magento 2, you will definitely notice how convenient and more user-friendly the backend features became:
- intuitive admin section
- verified extension marketplace
- every customer information is saved in an isolated server environment
- you can assign custom catalogs and price lists to particular customers
- PCI as Level 1 Solution Supplier
- extended purchasing options (through entering SJU, uploading CSV files, selecting from pre-set lists, etc)
- a number of helpful tools for development and release of your store
- target audience settings
- enhanced Magento cloud functionality
- mobile-optimized solutions
As you can see, the advanced capabilities of Magento 2 to operate with B2B eCommerce needs are undoubtful. As there in the next year, over 2 billion people all over the world are expected to purchase goods and services online, it is significant to maintain the excellence of your online presence. Fortunately, Magento 2 migration services do not seem impossible not they took a lot of time. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 and raise your business to the next level.
A Comprehensive Guide on How to Migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 Without Losing Your Store Data
Before you start with the migration process, make sure to create a full back-up of your store on Magento 1 (files, folders, data, etc). Also, it is worth checking if the extensions and custom code you use for the current online store are compatible with Magento 2 (if not, make a note to replace them on the go). It is recommended to set the Magento 2 store on the same hosting server where you had your Magento 1 one. Before that, check for outdated and not-relevant data that doesn’t need to be moved to the new store. Now, you are ready to go.
Based on official Magento documentation, the migration process consists of four main stages. Let’s address them in details one by one:
- Theme Migration. It is not possible to migrate your theme from Magento 1 to Magento 2 directly; however, you can just buy and install a new Magento 2 theme from the official marketplace or any other credible source. Also, you can create a new Magento 2 theme by yourself and adjust it to your operating needs and customer experience or Modify the current Magento 1 theme to make it compatible with Magento 2 requirements.
- Extension Migration. The next step is to install the needed Magento 2 extensions and add-on from the main marketplace. As we noticed before, it is important to check out the compatibility of the extensions you used before. Magento 1 extensions will not operate on Magento 2, although the Magento community is working on upgrading Magento 1 extensions to the Magento 2 standards. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that every single extension will be upgraded accordingly or will be presented at all, so we do recommend looking for great alternatives for your online store not waiting for the previous extensions to appear on the market all of a sudden. There are plenty of amazing extensions with extended functionalities that can be even more convenient to use both for you and your customers.
- Customizations. In most cases, the custom code that worked for Magento 1 store will run on Magento 2 as well. However, using Code Migration Toolkit offered by Magento, you can ensure this process. There are some structural differences in Magento versions so this official toolkit was developed for alleviation Magento 2 migration services related to customizations.
- Data Migration. Taking care of Magento programmers and business owners, Magento released another helpful tool called Magento 2 Data Migration Toolkit to make the data migration process more secure and easier. Talking about Magento migration services, this tool uses CLI commands to migrate all store data safely, even the most critical such as store configurations, settings, products, listings, etc based on rules described in an XML file. This tool is aimed to transfer data and settings only, so the first three migration steps should be performed manually and separately. It takes time and efforts to clarify everything regarding themes and extensions used, but the migration is a one-time important process, so please approach it thoroughly.
Once you finish all the described steps, it is essential to test the store moved to Magento 2 to make sure that everything works as expected. As you can see, the migration process is quite complex and has a lot of details to keep in mind while working on each step. Therefore, many store owners prefer to hire a Magento expert for migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
Why Remote Developers Can Do Magento 2 Migration Services Best
Here is the time when you come up with a thought that you need professional help with moving from Magento 1 to Magento 2 and it’s absolutely OK to look for assistance on this matter. Instead of hiring in-house developers just to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2, we highly recommend you to consider looking for remote Magento programmer or reliable outstaffing services that will solve your concern shortly. Why? Because such specialists have much experience with Magento migration services, they help with such requests on daily basis and, thus, you can find an expert for the one-time task instead of keeping a Magento coder under your company. In a long-term perspective, paying the outstaffed expert for Magento 2 code migration will be profitable than having a Magento programmer in-house while you can manage the store after migration to Magento 2 by yourself.
Nowadays, outstaffing specialists is a common way to find and hire experienced programmers to join your team for one particular project or perform a one-time task. Of course, most companies look for Magento 2.0 migration at an affordable cost, and here are where Ukrainian specialists are valued especially. Just to compare, take a look at average monthly salary rates on Glassdoor:
- the US – $96,000
- the UK – £52,000 ($67,797)
- Canada – CA$88,000 ($65,713)
- Spain – €44,000 ($49,423)
- Ukraine – $21,000
Obviously, the Ukrainian Magento specialists can be hired at the most reasonable price: their rates are twice lower than the most European companies offer and four-time less than you will have to pay to coders from the US. What is more, when it comes to quality, the lower prices lead to a better experience. So, when it comes to migrating Magento 1 to Magento 2, you can be sure that Ukrainian developers have successfully performed the migration a lot more times than other specialists.
Do You Have Magento Developers at Mobilunity?
At Mobilunity, we have a highly experienced team of Magento developers who have successfully performed dozens of Magento migration services. We believe that everything should be done in time and of great quality and when it is a question of migrating to Magento 2, we understand and value time and efforts of every business. Therefore, we do our utmost to respond to development requests and perform migration tasks within the shortest time.