Custom Software Development Services: A Brief Overview
More and more people tend to start their own businesses lately. We live in a quite independent era, where everyone wants to fulfill their dreams about being their own boss. However, being a business owner is not always that easy as one might think. You have to take care of lots of things and one of those is your company’s software. This is when you might want to know more about custom software development.
The term ‘custom development’ is being used quite often these days. However, there are still people who are wondering what is custom software development after all? Well, the custom application development solution is a category of software development in which a specific purpose software app is developed for a particular task or process of an organization or a group of users. The custom software development services and software developers are in high demand in the marketplace to cater to the increasing demand for the customized application software projects.
Usually, business owners turn to custom development when they cannot find an already existing solution that would satisfy their needs. In the case of using custom software development, the software is being created from scratch, trying to satisfy all customer’s technical needs. This way any company can create software that would solve even the most unusual cases where ‘mass-market’ solutions constantly fail. However, this process requires a lot of time and money, which is why small businesses often neglect it.
Numerous computer software development companies – both offshore and nearshore software development firms – are mushrooming all around the world. Let’s have a 360 perspective on the importance of software development and custom software services in the industry.
FAQ about Custom Software Development Services
Q: Why Hire a Custom Software Development Company?
Custom software development and IT staff augmentation company can increase business productivity, develop competitive advantages, provide expert assistance, and top-level software development services. If you opt for IT staff augmentation, you will be able to hire remarkable experts in software development that can scale up practices and technologies for your company.
Q: How Does the Custom Software Development Process Work?
Unlike all commercial software packages, the process of custom software development is fully adapted to the needs of your software. Thus, there will be no need to adjust the tools for your operational tasks constantly. The program will already be created to satisfy and meet your requirements and needs. Most business owners are also wondering about how long does it take to develop software. The answer to that question may differ greatly, depending on so many things. First of all, it is the complexity of the project. Obviously, the more features you want your application to have – the more time consuming it will be during the development process. Complexity also affects your cost as sometimes you will even need more than one developer to successfully finish the job. It also depends on the type of tools you will need to develop your software, their price, and complexity.
Moreover, the operating cost will be significantly lower, as the software is already customized to fulfill your requirements. Then, you can develop and implement tools specifically for your software. Having taken all that into consideration it will now be easier for you to have an approximate estimation for yourself about how long does it take to develop a software program. The thing is that these days our lives’ tempo is super high and companies, either way, have to adjust to that if they want to keep their customers. Of course, that heavily influences the speed that these companies operate at, including software development processes. It is important for businesses to do that faster than their competitors in order to stay relevant on the market.
Q: Is Remote Custom Software Programming Effective?
Although the risk of collaborating with freelance employees always remains, nowadays, it has become quite common to use remote custom software programming services.
The main reason for such a choice is reducing labor costs without affecting the quality of the final product. In many cases, having a remote team of developers who work specifically for your project will not slow down but benefit your workflow, especially If you are cooperating with professionals in the field.
Q: How Much Does Custom Software Development Cost in Ukraine?
The average cost of custom software development in Ukraine is much lower than in other countries, although Ukrainian specialists have a high level of skill and dedication. Depending on the region, the level of experience, and the specific skills needed, the average salary of a developer varies between $1300-2000 per month. However, the final price for the project will solely depend on the complexity and deadlines.
Q: What Are the Benefits of Software Development Consulting Service in Ukraine?
It is the Ukrainian market that has become especially attractive for companies looking for first-class developers. Location, the insignificant or completely absent difference in time zones, minimal language barriers are only the basic reasons why Ukrainian developers are in demand of large outsourcing companies. Mobilunity, as a provider of professional software development and consulting services in Ukraine, can provide you with a team of specialists to develop a high-quality project at competitive prices.
Custom Web Development: Biggest Benefits of Custom Software
In the present day business software ecosystems, there is no one size that fits all. The modern businesses are influenced by numerous factors like location, size, targeted market segment, business processes, and many other factors. So, your business needs a custom software development for better productivity.
The main reasons for choosing custom web development services include:
- Increases business productivity and competitive advantage. Due to this type of software is specifically built for one company or project, owners have better access to all of its data and can more easily control every process, therefore increasing the productivity of the whole company.
- Offers the high level of flexibility to scale up in no time. Better access to data often means that the company’s engineers can change the software whenever the need occurs, adjusting it even more to the project.
- Improves the company value and branding status. Using custom application development often allows a company to stand out from the crowd of its competitors, making the brand even more recognizable.
- Offers great performance and reliability. One of the greatest benefits of custom software development is that it is a perfect match for your business’s needs, which means getting the best results possible without fails.
- High level of business security. The best thing about custom web development and custom programming in general is that it is highly personalized. Usually already existing software solutions have lots in common, which makes them an easy target for a hacker attack. With custom software development services you can make your security protocol as complex as you want to.
- Fits 100% with the requirements of custom software application development for small businesses as well as large companies equally. The only thing that matters, in this case, is how much money and effort are you willing to sacrifice for getting your custom application. Think of it as of a smart investment as it will definitely pay off as time goes by.
- Offers reliable and accurate technical support owing to the help offered by the dedicated software development firms. In lots of cases, custom software application development is being maintained within your company, which makes it incredibly easy to fix any occurring problem in no time. Another option is for you to be assigned to a team of developers that will only be taking care of your project.
- It is comparatively cheaper than people think about it. With ‘mass-market’ software products you sometimes have no other choice but to buy packages with features your business does not really need. One of the greatest benefits of custom software, in this case, would be the fact that you can freely choose your options and will not have to pay for something that does not fit your project.
- Fully independent from the third party licensing and software update issues. In fact, when you turn to custom development solutions, you can always count on updates that are more frequent.
Why Businesses Need the Custom Software Application Development?
Every business is unique in many perspectives, so you need custom software to fit 100% with that uniqueness in your business. The main reasons for using the services of a custom software development company for developing unique software solutions include the following:
- To reduce the heavy loads of manual work and tasks. Sometimes it is cheaper to invest in great custom software than to pay for many years to several people who would do the same job but with bigger time consumptions.
- Reduce dependency on multiple pieces of software tools. For any type of business and its engineers, it is easier to have all data and software at one place, being a single ‘mechanism’. It is easier to maintain and fix it in case of any malfunctions.
- Offer a comprehensive business solution
- Fast analysis of data to create business intelligence
- Providing a higher level of security and reliability to your business data and processes. Custom software development allows you to customize your security system and therefore make it nearly inaccessible for hackers.
- Improvement in fast scalability and performance. More than that – you can constantly improve your software for even better performance.
- Achieving 100% compliance with the industry standards and government regulations
- Reducing the traditional paperwork. No one even does that anymore. Custom software saves you lots of time and saves trees.
- To expand the business to multiple locations without any problems at all. You can easily integrate different departments of your company using specifically built software tools.
- Benefiting from the low prices of software outsourcing services
- Establishing a full command over the software modifications and improvement without any additional licensing fees. In fact, if you decide to get yourself customized software, you will also have a team of developers who will take care only of your company’s software, dedicating all their attention to it.
So as you see, implementing custom web application development into your business might be pretty beneficial for you. Not only it allows you to improve the speed of every process in your company, but also might be of great help in advertising your brand and making it more recognizable on the market.
Custom vs. Generic Software Development: Why Custom Website Design Is a Better Choice for You?
A large number of commercial off the shelf software suites are available for the mass market purposes, but they require so many modifications and customizations to suit the desired business processes. This creates complexity and difficulties in implementation and use.
So, the use of custom app development services is highly desirable for developing custom mobile software development services or applications. The major differences between generic software development and custom software development are explicitly mentioned in the following table.
As you see, custom software solutions offer a great range of opportunities for one’s business so it is only natural that many people pay attention to all these benefits of custom software and finally implement it into their business strategy.
How Custom Software Development Company Can Save Your Business?
As we already mentioned, custom web design is something, that can bring your business on a whole new level, opening new opportunities and attracting more customers. However, it is not something that you can easily do on your own. Custom web application development services often require a team of specialists. This is when you turn to a custom software development company. The biggest benefit of dealing with a custom software company is, of course, their level of experience. You see, custom mobile app development is a pretty specific area of expertise, so it is essential for you to hire someone, who knows what they are doing.
Another thing for you to consider before turning to custom software development company is that in this case, the team of developers is going to take care only of your project, not wasting their effort onto anything else. This way you can be sure that you are getting the best result possible and investing in the future of your business.
For you not to make a mistake while choosing your custom app development company and your team of specialists, we prepared a list of most common mistakes that people usually do while hiring custom software development services.
- Improper Research. This is one of the fundamental mistakes most of the employers make while choosing the custom app development company. Service seeker hires a service provider without researching about the company, its expertise and experience, portfolios and success ratio. This leaves the disastrous impact on software projects. Just think of this as of future investment. You do not give your money away for just anything, why would this case be any different? Do some deep research, pay attention to the company’s reviews, talk to people who know more about this than you do.
- Preferring Low Price. Normally, small businesses and startups make this blunder while choosing a custom application development company. They prefer the low prices due to limited budgets, but it turns out to be a curse for them at the end of the day. By compromising on quality, they not only waste their money but also lose business confidence and brand value in the future. You just need to realize, that trying to save up money from your custom software development you are only making things worse. Every good businessman knows, that in order to achieve some profit you have to invest something first.
- Ambiguous Contracts. Signing the ambiguous contracts is another big mistake that produces so many problems in the proper execution of the project. Many conflicts, quality and payments issues, and communication problems arise as the project moves forward. So a clear and explicit contract is very critical for a successful project. Do not hesitate to ask questions if something looks strange to you, a good company will never hide anything from its potential and already existing customers.
- Missing Service Level Agreement (SLA). Many employers just rely on the verbal agreements of quality, cost and timeline of the project, which is not a good practice for the completion of a successful custom software development project. It is always a great idea to define specific timelines, cost, and quality. If any deviation occurs, there should be properly defined penalties for that particular deviation from SLA. This way you protect yourself from possible incompetence and gain some confidence in the quality result delivery.
- Forgetting the Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA). Business information and intellectual properties of the software that you get developed by the third party service provider should be properly safeguarded through NDA agreement. Missing this agreement will put your business and intellectual property in jeopardy. Just as we discussed previously, how custom software can in many ways guarantee your data’s safety, neglecting NDA agreement ruins that confidence completely.
Useful Tips on Choosing the Right Custom Software Development Services
It is a good idea to strictly follow the useful tips as mentioned below while choosing the right custom software development company.
Custom App Development Cost: Things to Consider
Now that you know about all those amazing possibilities that custom website design and software development open up in front of you, you are probably wondering about custom software development cost. That is understandable because as we mentioned already, at times custom development can be pricey. However, this is absolutely worth it.
If you just search custom software development rates online, you can find a pretty big range of numbers from $3000 to $300000. What does the price depend on then, you might wonder? Well, usually it is the size of the project that determines the price the most. However, there are other things to be considered in this case. Let’s take a closer look at those:
- The size of the software. This one is pretty simple – the bigger the size of your custom software is, the bigger will the price be as it requires more work to be done. Small apps often have around 25 pages, while large ones count more than 40. Basically, a page (or a ‘screen’) is everything that the user sees after every button click he makes.
- The complexity of the software. Again, the more complicated your application is, the longer time programmer will have to spend writing code for it. This is especially relevant if the code has some very specific nuances.
- Design. Custom web development services allow you to choose whatever design you want for your application – fonts, colors, pictures, it is all up for you to decide. Just keep in mind that the more you add to the application – the pricier it will be. Some things in custom website design can be expensive but unnecessary.
- Integration. Very often, the main reason for custom mobile application development is its successful integration with other services. The biggest issue is often with the integration process between applications and various payment services, like PayPal. Typically, the older is the system – the more expensive will be the integration.
- Data transfer. There are cases when companies already have huge amounts of already existing data that has to be removed to a new system. No matter how much data you have, the transfer process has to be run a few times to make sure that everything works the way it is supposed to.
Now that you know the most typical things that influence the final custom app development cost, hopefully, it will be easier for you to budget things. Just make a list of all the problems that you want this software to solve so you will not have to pay for unnecessary features. This is especially relevant for cases of custom software for small business. Also that’s will help you to choose custom software development company.
How Can Mobilunity Help in Developing Custom Software Solutions?
Mobilunity is a Ukraine based provider of the professional grade custom software development services at very competitive prices. As a custom software development company, we offer a dedicated project team to develop your custom web application or any other project with high quality. Mobilunity can help you in:
- Getting high-quality custom software at low prices. Due to the company’s location in Ukraine, their prices are considerably lower than at other countries’ companies. However, that does not mean that the quality of the final product is worse – in many cases, it is even better than you could expect.
- Completing the project on-time with fixed charges. The great thing about this company is that you always know what you are paying for – you can be sure that there will be no ‘hidden costs’, from the very beginning you will be given a fair price.
- Providing dedicated teams and developers with full control. Mobilunity’s team is full of experienced developers with many years of working in the field and profile high education. You can be sure that your project will be maintained by the best specialists possible.
- Reducing development cost. As we already mentioned, Mobilunity is a Ukrainian company and this country is well known for its great programmers and low prices for their custom development services.
- Improving software development efficiency
- Providing professional level customer support. Mobilunity has 24/7 customer support for their customers. Specialists are ready to answer your questions whenever you might have some so do not hesitate to ask for help if you even need to.
- Achieving a greater return on investment ROI. It might seem at the beginning that the cost of customized software is an unjustified waste of money, but in fact, it will only save you a great amount of cash if you carefully calculate everything. Very often using custom software and applications allows businesses to reduce the number of employees and automatize some processes. This way you reduce salary expenses and increase the speed of all the processes in your company. So think of custom software as of a great investment into the well-being of your company.
If you are considering to use offshore or nearshore services for custom software development projects, we are here to help you out professionally.
Stages of Custom Software Development at Mobilunity
To create high-quality software, our developers have developed a thorough, step-by-step framework. It is a unified development timeline that holds for a project of any skill, technology stack, across all industries.
Here are the stages of Mobilunity software development costing twice as little as contacting a local team.
The project team starts with collecting business requirements, determining what objectives a business wants to accomplish with a new software product, and analyzing the risks that could jeopardize development. During the planning stage, our team conducts thorough market research and gets to know the domain the project belongs to. The development plan is presented to the client and approved point-by-point.
2. Feasibility estimation
At this stage, all teams involved in development (software engineers, designers, testers, database architects) create estimates for each stage of the project. We will determine how much time and money executing the project that meets business requirements takes. If the budget and the cost estimation of software development are approved by stakeholders, the development process moves to the active phase.
To avoid miscommunication between developers, all facets of software are pre-designed. Our team works on structuring the software, creating user flows and prototypes that cover all the customer needs. To create fully functional prototypes, Mobilunity developers rely on proprietary tools as well as public top-tier instruments.
After the development team has created a prototype, the working model is presented to project stakeholders. We keep refining the design up to the point when it meets all suggestions and requirements without increasing software development costs. The final prototype is then analyzed by software engineers and used as a reference point during the entire development cycle.
Working on the front-end and back-end of software is the most time-consuming part of any development project. At this stage, the team is working to create the backbone of software – a clean, bug-free, and fully functional code.
The complexity of a project’s back-end and front-end is crucial for calculating the software development estimation cost. As a rule, the coding process consists of the following components:
- Choosing the stack – the programming language, development framework, and related tools;
- Creating the program skeleton;
- Choosing the function template that fits the project to the fullest extent and implementing it;
- Filling in the function body;
- Reviewing the code;
- Compiling the code.
If a business owner had specified the integrations for the future product, the development team will work on seamlessly implementing them into the software in a way that has no influence on software development rates. Third-party integrations are extremely handy for corporate apps as they blend in well with the tools companies usually use.
There are dozens of factors a development team needs to consider when implementing integrations:
- Setting up an environment for connecting a source application with the target system.
- Outlining the data mapping framework between the two systems;
- Synchronizing the data between an integration and the project.
Mobilunity is extremely thorough in software testing. Poor software performance can drive engagement into the ground, jeopardize the company’s productivity instead of streamlining the processes, and so on. To make sure there will be no risk of tech debt and the app works smoothly, our testers assess the following criteria:
- Traffic load the app can handle;
- Performance on the back-end and front-end level;
- Database load the system is capable of handling without crashing;
- Security – ensuring the website has no exploits that hackers can take advantage of.
Mobilunity follows the approach of continuous testing – we ensure the app’s flawless functionality after every stage of development.
7. Release and maintenance
Once the project is fully tested, it is released. Mobilunity developers are aware of how stressful the first days after the launch may be – our team is here to guide businesses through handling increasing traffic loads, managing security threats, and so on. Our engineers will examine the system on a schedule to ensure there’s no tech debt, data breaches, etc.
Mobilunity uses the Agile methodology to ensure the development process is flexible and can adjust to a client’s needs. We make sure that software development cost does not differ from the estimate given during the feasibility assessment. The outcome of every stage of the project is reported in detail – this way, a business owner will be included in every decision-making aspect. As the company’s headquarters are located in Eastern Europe, Mobilunity has lower offshore rates for software development than the Western firms.
The world we currently live in slowly adjusts to the rules of business. All processes are getting optimized, time equals money and people are getting replaced with machines who can perform better, and faster. It is only understandable that ordinary software does not ‘do the trick’ anymore. The time has come for something called ‘custom software development’ and we have just let it in.
Now that you have read this article, you understand what custom development is and how great it might be for your business. Not only it allows you to greatly reduce development costs, but also optimizes lots of processes and saves a lot of time. Though some people might think that this is expensive and unnecessary – custom software solutions are a great investment in the future of your business. If you are not sure whether you can allow such expenses – we created a list for you of things that influence the final price the most. If you take a closer look at those, you might realize, that if you pick only absolutely necessary features for your custom software, it is not that expensive after all.
Now, there are many companies in the world that provide custom development services. Their prices vary accordingly. However, if you are looking for a ‘golden middle’ between the price and the quality of the final product – we advise you to start looking in Ukraine. This country is well known for its excellent programmers and low prices. One of the best Ukrainian custom software development companies is called Mobilunity – contact them and get great software for your project for a considerable price in no time!