How to Find & Hire a Part-time CMS Developer
In simple terms, a content management (CMS) system’s function is to automate the creation, management, and optimization of web pages. Used right, a CMS system can ensure your web pages are always consistent and clean. This makes it easier for you to manage them and, ultimately, achieve your business goals.
Businesses in fields such as e-commerce, tourism, retail and more must review existing content and upload new content regularly to attract the right audience, make sales and boost customer bases. These businesses can save their resources by hiring a CMS developer to manage their CMS system.
There are two significant methods of implementing a CMS into your business. The first way is to use a ready-made solution. This method is popular, but it is very limiting and you can’t personalize it to suit your unique requirements. The other method is building a custom-made solution where you hire CMS developers to create software that is tailored to your business needs.
Here are some of the reasons why a custom CMS solution is popular among businesses:
- Enhanced customization and flexibility
You can tailor a custom CMS exactly the way you want.
With a custom CMS, your designer will optimize your site for any device.
- Personalized features
Unlike ready-to-use CMS systems, customized solutions have no limitations.
- Simplified management
Once a custom CMS is completed by developers, you don’t need special skills to manage it.
Different Types of CMS
When choosing a CMS for your business, you have to understand the distinctions between the different types, their features and their functions.
- Open-source CMS
Open-source CMS software can be downloaded at no initial cost. With this option, there are no licenses or upgrade fees. You can get some technical help during installation and customisation to enhance its features.
- Off-the-shelf solutions
Out-of-the-box CMS solutions come with many benefits in terms of efficient setup and so on. Unlike customized solutions, they do not need the input of developers.
- Custom CMS
With a custom CMS system, the design and functionality are tailored to your site, ensuring a conversion-focused website that will keep visitors happy.
Knowing the benefits of each of these types will help you to make the best decision of which solution is best for your business.
The Soft And Hard Skills of CMS developers
When you want to hire Drupal developer candidates or other CMS developers, there are certain key skills to look out for to ensure you choose a candidate that can complete specific CMS tasks. Some of the skills CMS developers need include:
Soft skills of a CMS developer
Here are some of the soft skills that an ideal CMS developer candidate should have:
- Ability to communicate well
With any software development, communication is crucial. CMS developers must be able to communicate well with team members about updates, changes and problems.
- Having a problem-solving attitude
CMS developers, such as Squarespace web design freelance experts and Webflow designers, must be able to challenge themselves to solve complex problems as a crucial soft skill.
- Ability to work in a team
Whether it’s a team of web developers, designers, or a project team, CMS developers, such as Squarespace developers freelance and Joomla developers, must work well with others to be successful.
- Being able to manage time
Being time-conscious helps CMS developers meet deadlines and give exact estimates.
Hard skills of a CMS developer
Here are some of the hard skills that an ideal CMS developer candidate should have:
- Ability to use content management tools such as Adobe CQ5 and DPM
- Being able to develop visually accurate user-driven websites using HTML and CSS that meet defined goals
- Ability to use programming languages such as C# and Java
- Develop and test across numerous browsers and platforms
- Write and maintain well-documented code
- Ability to work with Git or other version control systems
Choosing the right CMS developer candidate will help you to launch a website that represents your business or brand in the most effective way.
An Overview of Drupal CMS
Drupal is a CMS that can be used to organize, manage, and publish content. It is a free and open-source platform. Drupal is built on environments that use PHP and everyone is free to download it and share it with others. Millions of websites, including the Examiner.com, World Economic Forum, Stanford University, and many others, use Drupal.
Some of the main features that freelance Drupal developer experts can offer are:
- Making it easy to create and manage your website.
- Translating anything in the system with built-in user interfaces.
- Connecting your site to other websites and services using search engine connection capabilities.
- No licensing costs.
If you’re considering hiring a remote Drupal developer, it’s important to know the CMS platform’s challenges. These include:
- Not having a user-friendly interface.
- Being a newer content management system that is not compatible with other software.
- Having low performance compared to other CMSs.
Another important point to consider when choosing a CMS is the cost of Drupal developer remote candidates. Let’s now compare some of the average hourly rates of Drupal freelancer experts in five different countries:
Drupal was made to be the best content management system for non-technical users who want to use something that is easy to use and flexible. This is done by using a site-building modular approach.
An Overview of Joomla CMS
Joomla is a CMS that can be downloaded and used by freelance Joomla programmer experts to create websites and other online applications. It comes with front-end and back-end templates, and it’s free and extensible.
The main features that freelance Joomla web developer experts can offer include:
- Being open source and multilingual, supporting 70 languages.
- Offering excellent support.
- Making updates quick and easy.
- Allowing for customized banner, media and contact management.
Some of the challenges freelance Joomla developers face are:
- Giving compatibility problems while installing many modules, extensions and plugins at the same time.
- Plugins and modules do not come free.
- Development may be too difficult to handle when the layout needs a change.
Let’s now compare some of the average hourly rates of freelance Joomla designer experts in different countries:
Since the beginning, Joomla! has been utilized by millions of webmasters, making it one of the most widely used open-source CMSs currently available.
An Overview of Webflow CMS
Webflow is a visual website builder with no code. However, it is more than just a tool for web design; it is also a CMS and hosting platform. Webflow freelancers can use the Webflow editor to create custom, professional websites in a completely visual way.
Webflow freelance developers offer many different benefits and the platform comes with a variety of features. Some of the most important include:
- Allowing you to add CSS filters and code to anything.
- Being responsive by nature.
- Offering more control and creative possibilities.
- Offering dynamic SEO possibilities.
- Having a variety of content templates.
The challenges that freelance Webflow developer experts face are:
- Having a very steep learning curve in comparison to other site-building tools.
- There are traffic limits applied to all the plans.
- Despite Webflow’s ‘no-code’ emphasis, an understanding of some CSS and HTML is needed to get the most out of the Webflow designer.
- Webflow doesn’t allow you to switch templates.
Let’s now compare some freelance Webflow designer rates in different countries:
Webflow manages all of the code behind the scenes and lets websites be coded visually. This opens the door to 100% flexible design-driven websites.
An Overview of Squarespace CMS
Squarespace is a service that is “hosted.” As a result, you don’t need to pay for a hosting service or install any software to use it because it runs on its own servers.
Using the platform’s user-friendly content management system (CMS), Squarespace freelance developer experts can easily create and edit a website in a web browser.
The main features that a freelance Squarespace web designer can provide are:
- Allowing for multiple contributors and access levels.
- Customizable page and content layouts.
- Great security, enabling you to lock your website with a password while you are working on it.
- Making custom redirects possible.
The challenges a Squarespace freelance designer faces include:
- There is no functionality for selling in multiple currencies.
- For your Squarespace website to be fully GDPR-compliant, you will need to invest in a third-party tool.
- At the moment, only the United States allows automatic tax calculations.
- There are very few options for payment gateways.
- There is no functionality for version history.
Let’s now compare some freelance Squarespace designers salaries in different countries:
Squarespace is a website builder made for creatives of all skill levels to create their own websites and showcase their work.
*Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
The Differences Between Drupal, Joomla, Webflow and Squarespace
Before investing in a CMS solution and choosing to hire a freelance Squarespace designer or Joomla developer, it’s important to understand the differences between some of the most popular platforms. Let’s explore some of the most renowned differences:
|Type of design||Produces highly advanced sites.||Offers unlimited design possibilities.||Used to create websites.||Used for web design.|
|Ease of use||Not very beginner friendly.||Quick installation but not very beginner friendly.||Can be used with basic understanding of HTML and CSS.||Offers an easy set-up wizard.|
|Flexibility||Highly flexible.||Offers great flexibility.||All templates can be customized.||Full customization control.|
|Security||Security is not as strong as some other CMS platforms.||Offers excellent support and security.||All Webflow data is end-to-end encrypted.||Offers great security.|
|SEO||Core features support many of the critical SEO elements.||Has great SEO features.||Webflow is great for SEO optimization.||Lacks SEO ability.|
Your digital experiences and website will be built to meet the needs of the future if you choose the right CMS. But the most important thing is that it will give your web editors and developers the freedom to innovate.
Mobilunity as a Reliable Provider of CMS Design Services
Mobilunity is a leading outsourcing company with more than ten years in operation. We provide skilled workers, such as freelance Squarespace developer and Webflow developer candidates, to businesses all over the world. Mobilunity has access to many talented specialists that can cooperate with businesses in a variety of sectors.
Hiring Webflow, Joomla or Squarespace designer freelance candidates is very easy with Mobilunity. With us, you can get access to top CMS developer or freelance tester talent on a part-time basis and pay flexibly. This way, you can save valuable money.
Mobilunity gets chosen by its clients because our process is so smooth and efficient. It includes the following steps:
- Identifying and confirming our clients’ needs.
- Sourcing suitable candidates.
- Interviewing candidates chosen by our clients.
- Assisting with onboarding and ongoing support to ensure a successful partnership.