How to Find & Hire Freelance C# Developer
When it comes to software development, C, C#, and C++ are among the most widely-used programming languages. They are in the top ten in the world because of their reliability, flexibility, and functionality. A lot of businesses all over the world are looking to hire C# developer or team for their projects. If it is something of your interest, this guide is exactly what you need.
When searching to find and hire a freelance C# developer, collaborating with CRM software consultants and incorporating the expertise of a data analyst freelance can ensure a comprehensive approach to building C# applications that effectively leverage customer relationship management and data-driven insights. First of all, let’s get into detail into what are the differences between these three languages and what such development entails.
C is one of the traditional high-level programming languages. It was created by Dennis Ritchie for UNIX operating system. The system itself was developed in 1969 and re-written in C in 1972.
It is believed that C is in the core of Windows (although the source code is not publicly available). It is also used in Linux and GNU. Today it is mostly used for building operating systems, application packages, and custom software solutions.
C# and C++ have a lot of similarities, for instance in syntax. But they serve different needs and requirements. So the choice of hiring a freelance C# developer or a freelance C++ programmer depends on the project and its objectives.
C++ was created in 1985 by Bjarne Stroustrup based on C. He created it because Stimula (a common scripting language back in the day) was too slow. C, C++, and C# remain among the fastest languages to this day.
C++ integrates with C libraries smoothly and it was easy to switch to for those who knew the original technology. However, they are pretty complicated for beginners to learn. This is why it is essential to look for a freelance C++ developer with deep expertise and experience.
C# was created by Microsoft in 2002 as a response to Java, a simpler tool compared to C++. C# has syntax similarities to Java but it has more features.
Both C++ and C# are offsprings of C.
Similarities and Differences Between C++ and C#
Both of them have similar syntax, are object-oriented, and offer significant functionality. They have the same features, such as:
- Encapsulation (organization of code in logical groups);
- Data hiding (part of the information is hidden under a class);
- Inheritance (functionality can be shared from one class to derived ones without code duplication);
- Polymorphism (code affects the object of the class but can act differently in derived classes).
However, these tools also have some differences. The major ones are:
- C# has multiple inheritance;
- C++ uses pointers but C# marks them as unsafe, which is not recommended;
- C# does not allow precision loss;
- They manage memory differently. C++ has semi-automatic management, and C# uses a garbage collector (fully automatic).
- C++ is compiled into binary code instantly but C# has a reflection feature and compiles to bytecode.
- C++ has templates and C# has generics.
- C++ takes significantly longer to compile;
- C# is overall slower than its predecessor;
- And C# is not compatible with C.
So which one is better? For someone not experienced with programming, these differences might sound vague. To put it simply, C++ is perfect for speedy solutions and efficient memory management. It is often used for non-Windows applications and environments.
C# is less prone to errors and offers a quicker development process. A freelance software C + developer can provide businesses with the expertise they need to develop high-quality software applications, with the flexibility to work on a project-by-project basis. It is an easier language that is great for building libraries with remote calls. It is versatile and is used for desktop apps, web apps, and web services. It is also preferred for VR/AR solutions and game development.
However, if you have a freelance C# programmer and a C++ part time programmer in a team, it is possible to mix both languages in one project and take the best from each one.
Benefits of C Programming
So why would a business look for a freelance C programmer? Here are the main benefits these technologies have to offer:
- A huge number of available frameworks and supporting tools;
- Integration with .NET and ASP. NET;
- Versatility that allows the development of almost any type of application (console, desktop, web, MVC, WCF, WPF, etc);
- Object-oriented structure;
- A perfect option for cross-platform applications and solutions;
- Great performance when it comes to web servers;
- They offer amazing speed for solutions;
- Scalable and can handle enterprise-level apps.
Core Skills and Technologies Required of a Freelance Programmer C#
Before you start to look for a suitable part time C# developer, it is important to know what skills, qualifications, and competencies to look for. Here is a list of core skills to search for:
- Great knowledge of C#.NET;
- Experience with web development frameworks, Java, and HTML;
- Experience in software development (preferably in the industry you are working in);
- Expertise in relational databases and SQL;
- Prior work with ORM frameworks and OOD as well as software design;
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming and the best industry practices;
- Knowledge of REST and SOAP for web services;
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science;
- Expertise in testing and debugging software tools and procedures;
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms;
- Experience with technologies used for front-end development;
Certification by Microsoft is always a benefit for a candidate.
Core Skills and Technologies Required for a Part Time C Programmer
A business might need a freelance C developer if they are working on a project dealing with the base of the operating system or creating a new OS. It is rather a niche language nowadays but it is incredibly fast and flexible.
The core skills for such experts are:
- Experience in C programming in terms of kernel modules and embedded systems;
- Integration of highly-performing modules;
- Proficiency with C++ and C#;
- Knowledge of other languages that can be used in integrated projects like Java, Python, Node.JS, or Go;
- Experience with Valgrind and Lint language tools;
- Expertise in code version tools and practices (Git, Mercurial, or SVN);
- Proficiency at STL and BOOST;
- System design and low-level hardware interactions;
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
Also, look for valuable soft skills when recruiting a freelance objective C developer, namely analytical thinking, problem-solving, and time management.
Core Skills and Technologies Required for a C++ Developer Freelance
It is one of the most versatile technologies as it can work with almost any other language and system. The competencies one should look for to find C++ programmer freelance are:
- Proficiency in C++ software development;
- Knowledge of various operating systems, including Linux and Unix;
- Expertise in database management, including RDBMS, SQL, NoSQL, and MongoDB;
- Knowledge of Java, XML, and HTML;
- Experience with C++ best coding practices and technologies;
- Modern software configuration management;
- Prior work is web development tools and applications;
- Expertise in integrated programming environments (Eclipse or Visual Studio);
- Knowledge of testing/debugging tools and practices;
- .NET, Ajax, REST;
- ABAP development;
- Data, algorithms, STL containers, and data structures;
- C++ templating, dynamic polymorphism, memory management, and continuous integration.
Top Sites to Look for an Experienced C# Part Time Programmer
If you are looking to hire back end developer, front end programmer, or senior C++ consultant, freelance platforms are a helpful source. On such websites, one can search for freelance software C+ developer talent as well as discover the average freelance C+ programmer rate on the market.
Here is a list of the best resources for preliminary research and recruiting freelancers for your projects.
This is one of the best choices if you are starting a long-term project and looking for continuous cooperation. Here a company can find an excellent C++ programmer freelance to join their team. The platform finds expert talent and matches you with a suitable expert. Upstack has a great selection process and a holistic approach to vetting one’s skills and experience. So it is a safe bet to find a reliable C# developer part time here.
The platform also checks the soft skills and personality traits to make the perfect match. The talent pool is diverse and the website is trusted by industry leaders like Lego and Microsoft.
This one is great for small projects. It is an online job board where a company can find any expert they need, including C# developer freelance talent. The professionals create their accounts and you can look through them by applying different filters.
There are different price ranges, skills, years of experience, and locations. The main benefit is that there is a huge pool of specialists. The downside is that you need to do the searching yourself and there is no complicated wetting process from the platform’s side.
Upwork is one of the largest freelance platforms in the world. There are all types of professionals here. The process here is different – you create a job posting and candidates apply to work for the project. After that, a company can select the service provider.
It has a significant range of programmers with different rates to choose from. Another plus of Upwork is that freelancers get reviews and track records here from clients, so you can see what you are signing up for.
Toptal is perfect for smaller and fast tasks. The platform selects the experts they feature and vets their skills and competencies. Only the best specialists get to the top, so it is a safe choice as well. Businesses can search for a suitable programmer with a convenient filtering system. Or they can type in “C# software engineer part time remote” and look for candidates to match the inquiry.
Hiring a Freelancer vs Hiring Developer for an Outsourcing Agency
There are three main options when it comes to finding talent for a software development project. A company can opt for in-house recruiting, freelance collaboration, and partnership with an outsourcing agency to hire a dedicated programmer.
All of them have their pros and cons and the choice depends on the project, objectives, and C# developer hourly rate a business expects. The in-house recruitment is quite obvious. So let’s compare what freelance and outsourcing have to offer.
Pros of Working with Freelance Developer
- Access to a huge talent pool to choose from;
- Contract-based cooperation, which is great for small tasks;
- Cost reduction compared to in-house employment. Freelance c++ developer salary in other countries is also significantly lower;
- Freelancers are often quick and agile as they handle many projects.
Cons of Working with Freelancers:
- Freelancers are not loyal to one customer, they handle many of them and can leave for a more lucrative opportunity;
- The success depends on the expertise of a professional you partner with and the only guarantee is from your recruitment. If you are not proficient in programming, it will be difficult to vet candidates’ knowledge and competencies;
- Freelancers might be less motivated to put a lot of effort as it is one-time cooperation;
- To build a great product you will need more than one person. In case you need several programmers on the team, freelance is far from ideal. As you’ll need to find each individually and manage collaboration between them;
- Scaling up is complicated;
- No continuity of the project;
- There is always a risk of low-quality work.
Pros of Hiring an Agency Developer
- Access to vetted talent pool;
- Cost reduction compared to in-house employment. An hourly rate for C# developer in an offshore agency is usually much lower;
- There is almost no quality issue risk as the agency serves as a guarantor for the success of the project. The quality standards are written in the contract;
- You do not rely on one person, you can hire a full team, scale up and down, and have a continuous approach;
- If you get a team, these are specialists that have already worked together, so there is no need to invest time and money in making it all work;
- Businesses do not need to do recruiting themselves. They only set requirements for the agency and approve candidates. This saves a lot of time and effort and is particularly helpful for those without necessary tech expertise;
- There is ongoing support and maintenance;
- Access to the newest industry trends and technologies (agencies have more resources to access that than individuals);
Cons of Working with an Agency Developer:
- Sometimes it might be more expensive than freelance. However, this hugely depends on the circumstances and particular situations;
- If you work in a far country, there might be time zone-related delays.
Overall, it is more optimal to partner with an agency as it is safer and more flexible.
Top Interview Questions for Candidates
Interview Questions to ask while hiring a C# developer:
1. Tell me about the common language run time and why it is important;
2. Please explain how the types and classes work in C#;
3. What is the difference between managed and unmanaged code?
4. How indexers are different from properties in C#?
5. Please explain the generics in C#.
Interview Questions to ask while hiring a C++ developer:
1. What are access modifiers and how are they used?
2. What is the difference between operator overloading and function overloading?
3. Please explain the inheritance in C++
4. Tell me about void pointers and their function;
5. Describe the difference between virtual functions and pure virtual functions.
Interview Questions to ask while hiring a C developer:
1. Why is the function overloading not supported in C?
2. What is a pointer and how is it used?
3. Please explain the difference between r-value and l-value
4. Tell me about dynamic data structure.
5. Please explain the difference between struct and union.
Hourly Rates Comparison
The salary for part time C++ junior programmer and a senior expert is different not only based on experience but also the location. An average C++ programmer hourly rate fluctuates from country to country, that’s why offshoring is so widely-spread worldwide.
Here is a comparison table of the average C, C#, and C++ programmer per hour rates in different countries.
*Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
Mobilunity – Your Recruiting Partner
Mobilunity is a Ukrainian outstaffing company that has more than a decade of experience. We provide international businesses with access to the huge programming talent pool.
Our team will easily find C#, C, or C++ developers for your project according to the set requirements. We offer flexible cooperation options and part-time employment with paying flexibility. This way, you can hire the best programmers and pay only for the hours they worked on your project. So you get the best from both worlds – freelance flexibility and quality guarantee from the company’s side.
We’ve partnered with companies all over the world, including Esurance (Switzerland), D-Nest (Spain), ChipIn (UK), Minedia (Japan), ButtonOrder (Germany), and ICUC Social (Canada). We are happy to help you successfully recruit top programmers and bring your project to life.