How to Find & Hire Freelance Java Developer
Java is a long-standing object-oriented programming language. It is widely used across various industries and businesses. According to the latest report by Stack Overflow, more than 40% of developers are using it. While embarking on the search to find and hire a freelance Java developer, considering the expertise of educational app developers and leveraging consulting CRM solutions can contribute to developing robust Java applications that cater to the unique needs of the educational sector.
In this guide, you’ll learn all about the benefits of Java development and projects it applies to as well as ways to hire a suitable freelance software developer Java for your business.
Java Overview and Popularity
Java was originally released in 1995 but it never lost its relevance. It is a credible solution that has proven its benefits with time. There is a steady demand for experts in this field – companies are looking for a suitable Java consultant or developer all over the globe. To illustrate this point, check out these statistics:
- According to Oracle, there are 45 billion active virtual Java machines currently; It is the language number one for microservers programming and cloud solutions;
- It is the 6th most popular programming language globally according to Statista. It is used by 33.7% of professionals;
- It is the most used language in South Korea, Germany, and China.
Although this technology is widely used, it can be challenging to find a freelance java developer because the demand still overcomes supply. For example, the report by Dice shows that the demand for Java skills grew by 55% year after year. Because of that, a lot of companies decide to look for a freelance programmer Java in other countries on an outsourcing basis. This gives access to a wider talent pool and offers budget reductions.
Why do so many companies and enterprises choose to hire freelance java developer teams? Because this technology offers:
- Cross-platform performance;
- Huge library of tools and third-party solutions;
- Modular programs and reusable code;
- Faster development process;
- Platform independence – Java solution can run on any computer system and be moved from one to another one pretty simply.
Overall, it is a robust and flexible technology that solves a lot of issues and applies to many industries.
Types of Java Developers
Whether you need part time java developer or a full-time expert, it is essential to distinguish the different types of programmers out there.
Usually, they are separated according to the level of competence:
- Architect (Lead developer).
A middle offshore java development expert usually has 2-5 years of experience. Such professionals mostly work without much supervision. They also deliver unit test scripts, tech specs, and project specifications. Middle specialists also need to have deep expertise in frameworks for different types of projects (from the web to the enterprise level). The necessary experience includes testing, developing high-volume systems, software analysis, debugging, etc.
A skilled middle Java programmer freelance is capable to write and maintain top-notch code for various solutions as well as testing and implementing projects. The hard skills cover Spring, REST, JSON, Maven, SQL, TomCat, and ORM.
When it comes to senior part time java developer, you can expect 5+ years of experience. Such experts can solve complex issues and generally perform quicker than mids. Senior employees can make important decisions when it comes to project planning and development. They supervise the junior programmers and communicate with stakeholders as well as the whole team.
Companies that hire freelance java programmer of senior level look for expertise in security patterns, functional testing, principles of SOLID, development patterns, data structures, multithreading, database management, and architectural patterns. These employees are responsible for the integration of a solution on an enterprise scale. They also set high coding and testing standards for the team.
Java Lead or Architect is an advanced position for highly-skilled and experienced programmers. An architect is responsible for the project in its entirety as well as its global development and implementation. This position strongly relies on soft skills as well, such as communication, leadership, and problem-solving.
Architects communicate with clients, stakeholders, and the team. They need to turn client and company expectations from a project into functional architecture. The technical expertise covers architectural patterns, service-oriented architecture, legacy platforms, clustering architecture, scalability, and maintenance of apps.
Common Java Cases and Areas of Development
What one can hire remote java developer for? Let’s review the most common cases where this technology is used in development.
According to the JetBrains 2022 report, professionals use this language for building such solutions as:
- Websites (36%);
- Utilities/Small apps (25%);
- System software (19%);
- Databases/ Data storage (17%);
- Libraries/Frameworks (17%);
- FinTech solutions (13%);
- BI, Data Science, and Machine Learning software (11%);
- IT infrastructure (9%);
- Programming tools (9%);
- Entertainment solutions (6%).
An experienced part time Java developer remote can tackle a huge number of projects from a web or mobile app to embedded systems and enterprise applications. It is used for innovative technologies like AI and Big Data as well as microservers architectural decisions.
As for the areas of development, a skilled Java developer part time can work on:
- Mobile apps;
Most Popular Java Languages and Development Tools
A Java freelance developer can focus on specific tools like frameworks and scripting languages to work on different projects. As this technology exists for more than 20 years, there is a huge variety to choose from. And Java itself is constantly updated and upgraded for new needs.
For example, an expert java full stack developer freelance needs to keep up with new releases because they serve IoT, mobile apps, wireless solutions, and embedded use.
The most popular JVM languages are:
- Clojure – a dynamic Lisp dialect;
- Apache Groovy – dynamic optionally-typed language with static compilation capabilities;
- JRuby – combines Java with Ruby to work on various platforms.
The major frameworks a developer freelance Java uses are:
- Spring Boot for simple bootstrapping and powerful Spring apps;
- Spring Cloud for distributed systems development;
- Apache Spark for fast data processing, machine learning, and stream processing libraries.
A part time Java programmer can also use such tools as:
- Git for code version control;
- SonarQube for bug and security vulnerability detection and overall better code quality;
- Docker for creation and deployment of containers;
- Eclipse for plugins and cloud development;
- Selenium WebDriver for automation of web browser activities;
- JUnit for testing and test cases;
- Apache Maven for POM project management;
- Jenkins for Java server automation.
The top language version is Java 8 based on the usage stats. NetBeans is one of the top choices when it comes to IDE. TomCat is one of the widely-used Java application servers.
Advantages and Challenges of Java Programming for a Business
Hiring a Java freelance programmer for a project can bring significant benefits based on the features of this technology. Those are:
- Extremely low level of dependencies makes this language versatile and used almost on any system or platform;
- It is fast, reliable, and secure;
- It offers cost reduction as the development process is faster;
- It is constantly updated and upgraded to work with the most innovative technologies like AI, BI, Big Data, Machine Learning, etc;
- It is platform-independent – the vast majority of computers and smartphones are compatible with JRE;
- It is much simpler than C and C++, which makes debugging, testing, and maintenance easier.
However, there are also challenges when it comes to his technology, namely:
- Java uses human-like language that needs to be translated into machine-like code. This may slow down the performance of a solution;
- It is a high-level language, which comes with a lot of words. So the syntax might be lengthy and complex if not done right.
Technical Abilities and Skills of a Freelance Java Developer Full Stack
Because of the popularity and wide range of tools, an exact set of technical expertise for a freelance Java developer remote may vary. However, there are major capabilities every professional needs to possess.
The common responsibilities for a Java developer full stack freelance are:
- Design, program, test, and implement solutions with relevant frameworks (JavaEE, TomCat, or Spring);
- Create a solution that complies with exact specifications and project goals;
- Define the functionality and features of the solution;
- Provide debugging and constant support and maintenance;
- Support release and integration with existing infrastructure;
- Suggest possible upgrades and changes to existing apps and solutions.
Technical skills of a part time remote Java developer:
- Object-oriented programming and the whole Java ecosystem; best practices, principles, and design patterns;
- Expertise in abstract classes, class loading, and serialization process;
- Knowledge of concurrency and multithreading;
- Experience in Java Build tools (Grandle or Maven);
- Relevant technologies like HTML, CSS, and JQuery;
- Memory management and JVM;
- JavaEE components (Beans, Server Pages, Servlets);
- Experience with major testing tools like Selenium or TestNG;
- JBoss and Jetty for containers;
- Experience with Big Data tools like Hadoop or Spark;
- GitHub version control;
- Garbage collection, cache coherence, and fence instructions;
- Databases, SQL, or ORM;
- Knowledge of cloud technologies and platforms (optional for cloud-based projects).
The desired soft skills are:
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Analytical thinking and critical approach;
- Verbal and written communication;
- Time management and organization;
- Attention to detail and precision;
- Remote work experience (optional).
Hiring Options: In-House vs Freelance vs Outsourcing
If a company looks for a suitable Java developer part time remote, there are three types of employment to choose from:
- In-house hire;
- Working with freelancers.
Each one of them has its pros and cons, that’s why the final decision depends on the company’s goals, budget, and project scope. Here is a comparison table to showcase differences between types of hire when it comes to a Java software engineer part time.
|Longevity of the process
|The longest process as in-house hire requires company fit, compatibility with the team, and a lot of scanning and interviewing
|Usually is the fastest process if you work with a professional agency that has a database of developers
|Longevity depends on how fast you can find a suitable professional online, scan their skills, and sign a contract.
|Usually, it is the priciest option as you need to pay for hiring, scanning, onboarding, equipment, insurance, etc.
|Cost-efficient as rates in other countries are often lower. Also, agencies take care of a lot of employee-related disbursements such as equipment
|Cost-effective but it depends on the exact rates of a programmer. Freelancers can set the prices as they wish, so the best professionals are not cheap
|You are limited to local talent and those who are willing to relocate
|You access a much wider talent pool because you are not limited to a specific location
|Wide talent pool as there are many platforms to hire freelance java programmer
|Cultural fit, full control, dedication, and commitment
|Reduction of costs, fast hiring, access to talent pool, flexible cooperation models (part-time or full-time), easy scaling up or down, little effort from the client’s side
|Reduction of costs, project-based cooperation, access to rare expertise
|Costly and long process, limited talent pool, staff turnover
|Communication and security concerns, possible cultural differences
|Low retention, communication and security risks, weak IP protection, less commitment, no replacement if a person is ill or cannot perform
Where to Find a Remote Part Time Java Developer
There are several ways a business can approach the search for a suitable Java developer remote part time, including online and offline options. Here are the main ones to consider:
1. Professional communities and events
Because of the technology’s popularity, there are many professional events and communities for professionals to participate in and network. The online communities are:
- Reddit with designated subreddits;
- Forums like StackOverFlow, The Verge, Code Project, Oracle Java Forum, CodeRanch, or CodeProject;
- Codementor Community.
The popular hackathons and conferences are:
- Jaxenter’s Jenkins and Lava 10;
2. Personal recommendation
If you are acquaintances that have already worked with such experts or agencies, it is a good idea to ask for recommendations. In such a case, you get the client’s review instantly and know what you are signing up for.
3. Independent platforms
Several major platforms create lists of agencies and development companies based on the services, reviews, and technologies. Those are Clutch, GoodFirms, and Appfutura, for instance.
4. Freelance websites
Those who opt to work with freelancers, can go to dedicated websites that list experts with their tech skills, track records, and experiences. We’ll cover the major freelance sites in the next section.
This is one of the most popular sites for recruiters. LinkedIn serves as a digital resume and helps find suitable developers or consultants.
Top Sites to Hire Part-Time Java Programmers
These are platforms where a company can find freelancers and part-time contractors for projects.
This platform is devoted to developers and tech talent to match them with potential employers. It has a strong scanning process and features only proven experts. Toptal vets all the programmers based on hard and soft skills, which reduces the risk of low-quality performance.
It is another custom-matching website to find suitable developers. Here one can create a company account and look for candidates based on various filters and factors. This one is good for rare expertise and particular skills.
This platform is not designated for IT specialists but features all types of freelancers. The main difference is that you create a job offer and the talent applies to perform. Then, you can choose a suitable developer from the candidates.
There is a work history, clear rates, and customer reviews. There is also a secure payment system provided.
This is a recruiting website that matches professionals with relevant projects. It is suitable to assemble a team, which is better for complex tasks. The talent pool here is vetted and experienced.
People Per Hour
This one is quite similar to Upwork. The main difference is that freelancers can participate in contests and post their own offers as well. It has easy navigation and a decent pool of talent. But there is no vetting or matching system.
Average Java Developer Per Hour Rate
Java programmer hourly rate mainly depends on the level of expertise and geographical location. That is one of the main reasons why a lot of businesses choose outsourcing and offshoring. For instance, a senior Java developer hourly rate in the US is much higher than the same level of talent in Ukraine. Here is a comparison table of hourly rates for different levels of expertise in 5 countries.
*Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
Based on the data, hiring Java talent in Ukraine is significantly cheaper than in the US, the UK, or the EU. That’s why it is one of the top destinations for IT outsourcing in the world. You can access high expertise at a fraction of the price.
Find out more about:
- How to hire Ruby on Rails programmer?
Mobilunity – Your Java Teams Provider
Mobilunity is a Ukrainian outstaffing company with more than 10 years of experience. We offer access to a wide IT talent pool to our international partners. Our team can find and recruit the best Java developers according to your specific needs and business goals.
Mobilunity also delivers flexible cooperation options, like part-time and full-time employment of remote professionals. So you pay only for the time an expert spent on your project. This combines the benefits of two worlds – the flexibility of freelancers and the quality guarantees of our company. We also provide expert consultancy services to resolve urgent matters, and complete short-term projects, or perform tasks that require senior-level specialists.
With a consultancy, you get access to rare expertise and specific skill set. It is also a perfect way to try out the vendor before settling for long-term cooperation.
Mobilunity has partnered with businesses of all sizes and different industries, including I-Doit (Germany), ServIT (Sweden), Opportunity Network (UK), Qrates (Japan), and ICUC Social (Canada).
By cooperating with us, you get a smooth and quick hiring process, the best talent, and flexible cooperation.Not sure whether to hire a freelance Java developer or choose an outsourcing agency? Ask Mobilunity!
All salaries and prices mentioned within the article are approximate NET numbers based on the research done by our in-house Recruitment Team. Please use these numbers as a guide for comparison purposes only and feel free to use the contact form to inquire on the specific cost of the talent according to your vacancy requirements and chosen model of engagement.