Hire Perl Developer
Statistic on Perl Usage Among Perl Developers
In 2019, the Stack Overflow service provided developer community statistics. Every month, approximately 50 million people visit this service. Statistics show that almost 21 million of them are professional Perl developers. According to the data for this year, the advanced Perl programming language is on the 25th most popular language. The number of Perl programmers are 4.2% among all users of the resource. An important observation, Perl users among professional developers are also 4.2%.
Why Perl Is Hated by So Many Developers?
The same source Stack Overflow published the statistic based on “likes” and “dislikes” of developers’ stories. According to these data, Perl and PHP are in the top five list of most disliked programming languages. Perl is in the head of the list. For example, one of the reasons is Moose, an extension of the Perl 5 object system. The major purpose of Moose is to make Perl object-oriented programming simpler. Reviews of some Perl engineer on the forums say that “Moose is a mess”. Constant error messages, slow startups, etc. The Moose web page was last updated in 2011. One more reason everybody hates Perl is that it is impossible to read somebody else’s code.
Major Advantages to Use Perl and Start Searching for Perl Developer for Hire
- Perl and Python are similar. Python is one of the most popular programming languages nowadays. Initially, Python was created as a teaching language. It existed, so to speak, for children, until it developed into a serious programming language. Perl is jokingly called adult language. Perl and Python are quite similar. Therefore, it is sometimes the question of popularity. As Larry Wall said, “Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.”
- Perl is an interesting language. One of Perl slogans is “There’s more than one way to do”, it is also known as TMTOWTDI. Programming with Perl, you do not have to follow strict rules that were approved by someone a hundred years ago. Of course, for junior Perl developer, the language will be complex and incomprehensible sometimes, but for senior Perl developer it will open a new world of programming practice.
- The most common reason. The reason that is often mentioned by developers in various forums is the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network. CPAN is an archive of documentation and software written in Perl. You can find the most popular Perl modules which were tested already. It has many test reports.
- Perl is efficient in text and string. Perl has the ability to process text, using strong features, for example, regular expressions. This is a big pro for Perl web developer, and the reason is re-emergence of text files (like .html) as a common language in many apps and systems.
- A small amount of Perl programmers for hire. As was discussed before, due to Perl is not popular, there is a small amount of programmers who can use it. Therefore, as a developer, you will get the opportunity to get a high and satisfactory Perl programmer salary.
Projects Examples to Check Before Your Hire Perl Engineer
- LiveJournal — Is a web service where users can keep their blog, diary or journal.
- Priceline.com — is a commercial website with a headquarter in United States. It is specialized on looking for discount rates for travel. It will help you to find the most pleasant price to airline tickets, trains, hotel stays, etc.
- BestPractical.com — is a system for tracking and accounting applications of an open source enterprises.
- Mail.ru — is the largest Russian Internet portal, owned by Mail.Ru Group. The company’s products have a lot of Perl code. They also conduct training courses on Perl development.
Demand for Perl Developer for Hire Nowadays
According to the Coding Dojo resource research, published in 2017, Perl had a large increase in the number of vacancies compared to 2016. In statistics, Perl 6, which was launched in December 2015, and Perl 5 count as a single language. In 2019, the situation changed slightly. By researching published jobs at Indeed.com, the guys from Coding Dojo found that the number of offers for Perl developers fell by 3,000 units. Analyzing the data for several previous years, it is difficult to say exactly what fate awaits this programming language. Nevertheless, Perl continues to be popular due to its advantages.
Perl Developer Salary Rates: How Much It Costs to Hire a Perl Programmer
In the USA average Perl developer salary is about $81,000 per year. According to Neuvoo.ca, annual salary in Canada is approximately the same value, $80,000. Web service GlassDoor.co.uk shows that annual Perl dev salary in UK varies between $45,000-85,000. According to different sources, annual salary in Ukraine is between $16,000-22,000, depending on employer, developer experience, and complexity of the project. You can hire Perl developers in China with an annual rate of $25,000 (similar to the rates when you hire Django developer).
Perl Developer Resume Sample
Here you can see generalized Perl developer resume sample.
How Can You Hire Perl Engineer?
Every year the popularity of Perl fluctuates somewhere up then down. It’s hard to guess where it will be in a few years, especially with Perl 6 coming up. However, if you decide to run your project using the Perl language, this is only half the solution. Someone else has to cope with choosing the right candidate for your task.