Are MEAN Stack Developers the Same as Full Stack Ones?
Unsurprisingly, these different segments of web development also require different tools and technologies to handle them. There are, for instance, different programming languages available to write backend code, and different database systems to store data in.
Web development that’s involved in both the frontend and backend components of web development is called full stack web development. The stack term alludes to the layered or stack-like structure of data flow through the web.
The MEAN stack is simply a set of technologies that may be used for full stack web development.
MEAN Stack Developers: A Closer Look
Technologies in the MEAN Stack
The name “MEAN” is, in fact, an acronym for the four technologies that comprise the stack: MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, and Node.js.
One question then arises: Are MEAN stack developers considered full stack developers? The answer here, of course, is a resounding “Yes”. A MEAN stack developer is a full stack MEAN developer because he develops both the frontend and backend components of websites. However, the converse is not true: a full stack developer is not necessarily a MEAN full stack developer, because a full stack developer can use any technology stack for development, MEAN stack being just one of them. Other popular technology stacks are LAMP stack, Django stack, and Ruby stack.
Note that the actual order in which these technologies are positioned in the stack, from frontend to backend, is AngularJS → Node.js → Express.js → MongoDB, so ANEM would be a more accurate acronym that captures its stack order, but MEAN is used as it is a more memorable acronym. With this in mind, let’s take a look at each of the four technologies in the MEAN stack in the correct order, and examine the roles that each one plays in full stack web development.
Stats on AngularJS from Github.com
Read our article on how to hire Angular JS developers.
The most obvious advantage offered by Node.JS is uniformity of frontend and backend languages: since the same language can be used for both, it practically abolishes the wall that divided the two segments of web development. This directly translates to quicker and cleaner development. Moreover, it enables asynchronous programming, meaning it can perform independent processes without waiting for other processes to finish. This allows the program to scale to a large number of users, leading to large performance improvements compared to synchronous programming.
Check the list of CVs of Node JS developers for hire.
Read more about Express.JS development.
MongoDB is a database program and is among the most popular NoSQL databases, which are databases that store and model data in structures other than the tables used by relational databases such as MySQL. As opposed to the tabular structure of relational databases, MongoDB, being a document-oriented database, stores data as documents, which encapsulate all associated information corresponding to a specific database object.
Check out top 5 CVs of MongoDB developers
AngularJS MEAN Stack Features
Different software architectural patterns are used by developers to facilitate cleaner and clearer codes that are easier to maintain. One of the most popular patterns is the model-view-controller (MVC) pattern. This programming architecture divides an application into three main components: the model, which corresponds to all the data and objects that flow through the application; the view, which represents the user interface with which a web user interacts; and the controller, which acts as the mediator that connects the model and view components.
Two-way Data Binding
AngularJS uses entities called directives, which are HTML attributes that are used to mark a group or block of HTML codes for them to function in a certain way or to relate them to other blocks. The great thing about AngularJS directives is that they foster code reusability: if, for example, a block of HTML code will be used multiple times throughout the application, instead of copy-pasting the code block in multiple sections, an AngularJS MEAN stack developer can simply assign a directive to that block and reuse it as needed in different sections of the application.
Automatic Form Validation
The Ideal Angular MEAN Stack Developer
If you’re in the market to hire AngularJS developer, here are some skills or qualifications that you should look for to ensure the competency of your developer.
Robust Frontend Skills
Mobile Angular UI Experience
In today’s world where there are now more mobile devices than standard computers like desktops and laptops, mobile web development is just as important, if not more important, than desktop web development. Web applications should now be able to adapt to different screen sizes and form factors. Mobile Angular UI extends the power of AngularJS to mobile devices, making them optimized to smartphones and tablets and providing deep integration with other mobile UI frameworks such as Bootstrap. With this skill, an AngularJS MEAN developer will be able to develop applications that readily perform on mobile devices just as well as on desktops and laptops.
Being a framework, AngularJS abstracts a lot of the details of its logic circuitry behind short and simple APIs, so that developers can focus on functionality rather than the messy code details. To some, this may seem like a double-edged sword: since much of the codes are separated from the user’s main codes, debugging may prove challenging, especially since the developer is likely not familiar with the actual code details of the framework. One remedy for this is unit testing, which allows the developer to test the smallest testable parts of a software individually. AngularJS provides a great unit testing tool that makes unit testing straightforward and effortless.
Modular Programming Knowledge
Modular programming is the practice of software development where the application is divided into small units called modules, where each of the modules can easily be modified, removed, added, or rearranged without greatly impacting the whole application. This implies that each module contains a group of similar functions, and each module can be used and reused in different parts of the application with minimal side effects. This greatly reinforces code reusability and simplifies collaborations between multiple developers. AngularJS uses modules, so using a modular programming approach maximizes its benefits.
Is MEAN Stack Developer Salary a Problem?
Is there any difference between the full stack & MEAN developer salary? Rather than comparing Java vs MEAN full stack developer salaries, to answer this question we’ve conducted a survey of the developer salaries of various experience levels and countries like MEAN stack entry level developer salary in US, salary of MEAN stack developer in Egypt, or full stack and software developer MEAN salary. No need to mention that prices of different developers vary on their specialty, location and the work of experience. Junior full stack developer salary is differs a lot from senior full stack developers, as well as full stack developer vs software engineer salary will not be the same.
Due to geographic diversity, the sources of salary research also vary. For example, salary for 1st year MEAN stack developer in Ukraine is taken from Dou.ua, while full stack MEAN stack developer salary in UK is taken from Neuvoo and Indeed.co.uk correspondingly, while entry MEAN stack developer salary in France use from PayScale.
Full Staсk Developer Salary
The services of full stack devs are considered to be the top quality of all, as they specialize in all aspects of web development, both frontend and backend including MEAN. Full stack developer salary is higher than salary of other developers and ranges depending on the experience of developers and the country of residence:
*Average salary is calculated on the basis of entry, middle and senior salaries.
MEAN Web Developer Salary
As MEAN stack developers gain more experience, improve their skills. The gradation of the salaries depending on the country is available in the following chart:
*Average salary is calculated on the basis of entry, middle and senior salaries.
Average junior MEAN stack developer salary NYC and Miami is approximately $81,400 per year and $70,500 correspondingly. New York is one of the largest cities in US with competitive prices, so New York MEAN developer salary is higher than in other cities.
Below you may check the chart with monthly net salaries of MEAN stack developers in different countries throughout the world:
and check our video comparison on full stack salaries worldwide:
How to Hire a Full Stack Web Developer and Full Mean Stack Developer
- Easier to vet candidates & build networks of full stack developer vs MEAN stack developer.
- No relocation difficulties
- 100% of your control
- Very expensive. Besides possible high salaries of local devs, you also pay health insurance that might cost $1500/month.
Outsourcing or project-based model
- Work arbitrage is very vast. Hiring MEAN stack vs full stack developer actually does not make a difference if you hire not directly, as you get access to the global workforce.
- Delegation of HR responsibilities to a third party
- Lack of collaboration due to time & culture diversities and poor communication
- Hidden costs might appear if you don’t read the contract
- Loss of control, as you hire a contractor and don’t actually control the work process
Outstaffing or dedicated development team model
- Cheaper than previous hiring models
- Access to experienced and exclusive talent. Due to specifics of their work, it might be quite challenging to hire MEAN stack developers in your city or even country, so outstaffing will be the best solution.
- Control over the work processes.
- Confidentiality leaks
- Communication problems between outstaffed employees and company management
MEAN Stack and Full Stack Developers Resume Samples
Below you may check and request a MEAN stack developer resume in order to understand whether our experts are suitable for your project.
Denis M. – MEAN Stack Developer (resume from our pipeline)
- Development of web applications with React, Node.js, AngularJS
- MEAN: MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, Node.js
- Mobile applications development using React Native (IOS + Android)
- Participation in UI / UX design prototyping (leading role in decision-making)
- Take a practice in a product management (business analytics, making decisions)
- Brand projects (See examples below)
- Design UI / UX interface with development using React
- booking tour trips, hotels, restaurants online magazines, blogs, theaters, cinema, music and other media
- online shopping (jewelry, clothing, accessories, electronics, luxury properties, alcohol)
- official websites of the big companies, persons (artists, photographers, singers and bloggers)
- social networks, cloud storage systems
- Prototyping UI / UX Web and mobile applications.
- Knowledge of the latest trends in a modern Web-design
- Excellent subjective vision
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Google Map API, OpenLayers.
- Node.js: express, electrolyte, bootable, socket.io, mongoose, sequelize, passport, npm,
- UI: HTML5, CSS3, LESS, SCSS, UIKit, Bootstrap, SVG, responsive other JS: promises, Gulp, Browserify,
- JQuery, OOP, JSON.New skills: Webpack, Babel, React Native (8w), Redux
- Secondary skills: C#, .NET (2 years), ASP.NET MVC, Web Api, IoC/DI (Ninject)
- DB: MongoDB, MySQL, SQL Server
- Source control: git, Perforce
- IDE: VS, WebStorm
- Other: JIRA, TeamCity, Confluence, Activecollab, Linux, AJAX, REST, SSE, WebSockets, bower, ffmpeg.
If you wondering how to hire a Bootstrap developer, read our guide on how to do it right.