Cloud Migration Services You Can Trust
Why do companies decide to migrate to the cloud, what advantages and pitfalls does this involve, and what is cloud migration in the first place? This comprehensive guide covers the essentials of cloud computing, why and when the on-premise-to-сloud migration can be beneficial for business, and helpful tips on the migration process.
What Is Cloud Migration, and Why Companies Need It
Cloud migration refers to the process of moving tools (as well as data, workloads, applications, IT resources, etc.) to the cloud infrastructure. Usually, it is the migration process from an on-premises data center or an old legacy infrastructure to the cloud, but it also can mean cloud to cloud migration.
The cloud, or cloud computing, can be considered a hub of services available over the internet instantly, on-demand, and without setup on a particular device. The cloud basically allows storing computers with applications and other services not on-site but in massive shared data centers worldwide. Such data centers are managed by third-party cloud service providers that can have either free access, free trials, or pay-as-use models.
Compared to old legacy infrastructures, cloud infrastructures allow working with a computer or a server as a service and completing the same tasks you would do on a physical device with a completed setup. The difference is that you can use as many services as you need now, have access to all the applications you need in the given minute, pay only for the solutions you are currently using, and spare yourself complex hardware and server room maintenance.
This is what makes cloud computing a powerful solution for businesses that want to strive and grow. If you want to reach and secure the leading positions in the industry and keep pace with the current and future technology, migration to cloud computing may be no longer an option but a need.
Why Companies Migrate to the Cloud
- Access to almost limitless IT resources;
- Real-time scalability and flexibility;
- Greater agility compared to the IT resources on-premises;
- Cost optimization (pay-as-you-use model);
- Top-level security (provided by industry leaders).
It doesn’t matter what your reason for cloud migration is, we only need your requirements to figure out on how to help you! Get in touch with Mobilunity and boost your business!
The Benefits of Migration to the Cloud
Probably, the main benefit of adopting cloud solutions is realizing the efficiency potential with optimized: minimum costs involved. However, the advantages of the migration to the cloud don’t add here and include:
- Scalability. The cloud allows for great elasticity and scalability that allows organizations to expand or decrease IT resources on-demand almost instantly. This includes not only computer processing but also memory and data storage resources to meet the demand in real-time without previous capacity planning and setup.
- Agility. Cloud agility allows for fast development, testing, and launching applications, as well as responding to changes quickly. At the same time, even small organizations can get access to the same tools used by big corporations, and companies with different locations can easily set up the needed infrastructure for all offices at once.
- Cost-effectiveness. With the cloud, you can pay only for the resources you use, and given the easy scaling, and you won’t have to pay for solutions that are no longer in use for months and more. This is different from the traditional IT workflow, where scaling is a time-consuming and costly approach. Aside from increasing the computing capacity, decreasing it on-premises can be even more cumbersome. The cloud allows you to manage resources in a moment and pay for what you really need. Yet, cloud services still require thorough planning and correct automation to be cost-effective.
- Improved performance and resiliency. Cloud service providers provide access to almost limitless IT resources round the clock, with the latest tech available and advanced disaster recovery mechanisms. This also contributes to the efficiency, resiliency, and improved performance of the organization.
- Security. Since cloud service providers are big players on the global market, with large-scale corporations relying on their solution, you are guaranteed top-tier security and compliance when you migrate to cloud computing.
- Simplification and less maintenance or IT resources. With a public cloud, you will no longer need employees spending days on tedious maintenance of the equipment you may no longer need in such a setup. Instead, your IT experts can focus on core processes and optimization with the infrastructure support ensured by the service provider.
Challenges and Pitfalls to Avoid When Migrate to Cloud
Besides the benefits that migration to cloud services can bring, it is important to be informed about the challenges of moving to the cloud and downsides (potential or real, depending on how you go with the migration process):
- Estimated costs. Although cloud solutions are cost-effective when utilized correctly, it may be hard to estimate the maintenance costs, especially when you haven’t used cloud services before. It’s important to consider not only migration spendings but also the costs of the migration solutions, increased bandwidth, cloud migration engineer salary, and recurring management costs in the future. The good news is that adequate planning and cloud services optimization will help you handle this challenge fine.
- Complexity and app dependencies. Going with the public cloud model can be relatively easy to manage but still become complex if many applications are involved or you engage in the hybrid solution. If you plan to move the majority of solutions to the cloud, you need a highly-skilled cloud migration engineer who can manage not only the migration process but also further maintenance and optimization.
- Working with legacy apps. Not all applications are cloud-friendly, and legacy apps are among the exceptions that require thorough consideration. It is okay to keep some software on-premises, re-building something, or repurchasing more suitable solutions if needed.
- Database migration. Migrating massive amounts of data to the cloud can take a lot of time, so if you have terabytes of data to migrate, it may be worth considering data transfer appliances offered by the majority of service providers in cloud migration.
- Building a Cloud Center of Excellence (CCoE). CCoE implies a team that creates and implements a cloud adoption strategy with actionable directions that can be further leveraged by the whole organization for the successful use of cloud services. Although it may be challenging to build such a team from scratch, it will be beneficial in the long run.
- Ensuring cloud adoption. It is essential to have a couple of cloud experts handling cloud solutions within the company and the whole organization to utilize the benefits of cloud adoption. If you don’t have a senior cloud engineer with migration to cloud experience, it may be worth turning to an external partner that can help set things up and train your employees on the cloud services.
Cloud Computing Types and Migration Strategies
The most common types of cloud computing include:
- Public cloud. Public cloud solutions are owned and operated by third-party cloud service providers (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, etc.) over the public internet. This is the most widely used cloud computing type with a wide range of benefits. Public clouds have 24/7 uptime, a cost-effective pay-as-you-use model, great scalability, and simple setup and maintenance, and there’s no need to manage IT resources on-premises.
- Private cloud. In contrary to the public cloud, private cloud resources are owned and used by the company itself. Private clouds are useful when it comes to governmental and financial organizations that require maximum control over the data and applications. Such clouds can be stored in a data center on-premises or hosted by a service provider (such as Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, Oracle, etc.) remotely.
- Hybrid cloud. The hybrid cloud implies using both public and private clouds to reach the company’s goals in the most effective way. This type is usually adopted by companies that need a private cloud to work with sensitive data (e.g., financial institutions) or follow regulation requirements (e.g., GDPR) but still want to benefit from public cloud solutions. Such hybrid solutions are usually complex and require some advanced knowledge in adoption and maintenance, which also comes at more costs than going with the public cloud.
- Multi-cloud. Multi-cloud refers to using multiple cloud services within the organization (e.g., a mix of AWS and Google cloud solutions). This can come in handy if you don’t want to rely on a single service provider or get the benefits offered by different providers.
Cloud strategies go hand in hand with the cloud computing types, so you can choose the most suitable option for your organization by picking the right type and strategy. Here are the three most popular ones:
1. Lift-and-shift (also known as “re-hosting”; moving the selected applications to the cloud without previous assessment/optimization; the simplest and quickest way suitable for simple and low-impact workloads).
2. Move-and-improve (also known as “re-platforming”; involves making some scaling/updates/automation/retention to the apps before moving them to the cloud).
3. Rip-and-replace (also known as “refactoring” or “re-architecting; rebuilding the workload from scratch to make it cloud-first; involves time and resources but pays out in the long run with the maximum benefits of cloud solutions).
Considering Technologies for the Cloud Migration Process
Every cloud service provider offers corresponding services to help businesses embark on cloud computing and execute a successful cloud migration process. These solutions can be broken down into data migration services, network management services, and migration options with or without appliances.
Let’s take a look at the most widely-used technologies per the cloud service provider:
Cloud migration AWS services include a large number of tools, with AWS Migration Hub being the main platform for working with AWS cloud migration tools and analytics. Among other solutions are Cloud Data Migration Services AWS, AWS Application Discovery Service, AWS Snowball for appliances, and more cloud migration services AWS to fit the needs of each organization.
In search of talented AWS cloud specialists? Get in touch with Mobilunity! >>>
Microsoft Azure provides a large number of educative videos, webinars, scenario guides, and other learning resources on Azure cloud migration. Azure cloud migration services include the Azure Migrate as an all-in-one tool for migration process tracking and management, Strategic Migration Assessment and Readiness Tool, Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure, and other solutions.
Azure cloud architect can significantly help your business. Hire Azure cloud expert with Mobilunity!>>>
Google built a Google Cloud Rapid Assessment & Migration Program (RAMP) to help businesses with the cloud migration process. The company also created the Google Cloud Adoption Framework document for organizations interested in Google cloud migration. It provided a variety of solutions, such as Storage Transfer Service and Appliance, BigQuery Data Transfer Service, Migrate for Compute Engine, and others.
Hire Google cloud architect with outstaffing company. Contact Mobilunity! >>>
Oracle cloud migration services include Oracle Zero Downtime Migration for seamless migration, Oracle Data Guard for data protection and disaster recovery, Oracle GoldenGate with replication for making data highly available, and other Oracle BI cloud services migration tools.
Looking for skilled Oracle developers? Mobilunity is ready to help >>>
IBM cloud migration services include solutions to help companies build the right cloud adoption and strategy and provide IBM cloud database migration services for hassle-free migration to the cloud.
Given that the technologies mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg, there are numerous solutions to choose from to get the maximum benefits of migrating to the cloud, and these services require training/cloud migration experience to work with, many organizations turn to cloud migration strategy consulting offered by reliable partners.
Interested in hiring IBM cloud architect? Hire with Mobilunity! >>>
5 Steps to Successful Cloud Data Migration
Based on our experience in cloud migration consulting, we came up with the 5 steps to follow for a successful migration process:
1. Start with a strategy.
Before initiating the cloud migration process, it is crucial to emphasize what you want to migrate to the cloud, why you need it, and what results from the migration you expect. Define where you are standing right now, review the technologies you are using, create a migration cloud computing strategy, set goals and KPIs to measure your progress.
2. Select the suitable cloud service model and type that will fit your company’s goals.
With the migration strategy in mind, evaluate what IT resources you want to move to the cloud, what changes are needed, and decide whether you need a public cloud, a private one, a hybrid, or a multi-cloud solution.
3. Choose the right cloud provider.
Whether you need a public or private cloud or a mix of both, choose the cloud service provider that offers the type you need and has the most suitable toolset for migration and further use.
4. If you feel that you can’t handle the migration to cloud, find a reliable partner with an end-to-end approach.
If you feel that the existing IT talents don’t possess the needed knowledge/experience with cloud adoption, find a credible cloud migration partner that can help you assess the current setup, create a cloud migration strategy, take care of the migration processes, assist with further maintenance, and train your employees on cloud solutions. Look for partners with relevant proven experience and a strong reputation on the market.
5. Execute your cloud migration and analyze the results for further cloud optimization.
With the proper planning and preparation, the migration process should be stress-free and take the shortest time possible. It is recommended to go with tests first, slowly moving applications to the cloud and switching from on-premises tech. Still, the migration process may involve different approaches based on the company’s initial setup and the cloud migration service selected.
Mobilunity as the Cloud Migration Services Partner You Can Trust
If you are looking for a reliable partner that can help you with desk to cloud migration services, here at Mobilunity, you can find the right experts for your company. Mobilunity is a globally known outstaffing company based in Ukraine with 10+ years of expertise in providing dedicated IT resources to companies of any scale worldwide. Our clients note our dedicated approach to work, professionalism, and talent matching solutions.
Our Recruitment team utilizes the best industry practices together with our own time-tested approach to sourcing the right experts as per the company’s requirements, and we have a strong experience in providing dedicated IT resources, including DevOps, to organizations looking for high-quality cloud data migration services.
Looking for a cloud migration service partner you can rely on? Get in touch with Mobilunity experts!
Disclaimer: “AWS”, “Google Cloud Platform”, “Oracle” and “IBM” are registered trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, Google LLC, Oracle Corporation, International Business Machines Corporation (IBM). Mobilunity is not related to, affiliated with, sponsored or endorsed by Amazon.com, Inc, Google LLC, Oracle Corporation, International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) Corporations.