Pros and Cons of Hiring Freelance Ruby Developer
An object-oriented scripting open-source language, Ruby is ideal for creating desktop applications and static websites. The most crucial benefit of Ruby is that it allows a development team to quickly build and deploy a web application. Additionally, the ecosystem surrounding Ruby provides libraries, which makes it easy to extend the core functionality of the Rails framework.
Ruby is a great decision when you need a small number of developers to quickly deliver a working application. In this article, you’ll find the pros and cons of hiring a freelance Ruby developer for your project and what is the average Ruby developer cost to consider for budget planning.
What Ruby on Rails is, and why do you need it
Ruby is a good language. But a combination of Ruby and its framework Ruby on Rails, is a golden must for more effective results.
Ruby on Rails is an open-source development framework for web applications. It is based on Ruby’s pre-made code for vital database connections, file handling, communications, etc. Therefore it comes in handy with complicated web application projects.
Key benefits of Ruby and Ruby on Rails:
- High development speed due to a variety of options of ready-to-use framework tools and readable language itself.
- Vast sociality — thousands of excellent tested solutions, for example, authorization tools or payment systems, kept in the public domain.
- Multiple built-in safety measures.
- Efficient framework that is suitable for full-stack projects.
Ruby on Rails is most commonly used by eCommerce, social media, freelance websites, and financial service businesses. When weighing the pros and cons of hiring a freelance Ruby developer, businesses should consider the option to hire freelance PHP developer with additional expertise as a Cisco programmer, as it can bring a unique skill set and versatility to their projects.
Famous companies such as Shopify, CrunchBase, Groupon, Netflix, Airbnb, and Bloomberg use the Ruby on Rails framework in their apps.
Primary skills, technologies, and critical responsibilities of Ruby Developers.
Although it might seem like Ruby is an easy language, a credible and well-qualified developer should have impressive skills. Let’s take a look at the technical side first:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails Gems, Ruby libraries like Resque and RSpec
- Experience with testing tools like Webdriver, Cucumber.js, Selenium, Karma
- Experience with version control systems, like Git, SVN, or TFS
- Knowledge of Model-View-Component architecture
- Experience with databases like MySQL, Redis, Postgres etc
- Experience with DevOps tasks
This is a list of critical hard skills a developer should have. Look for such competencies in CVs or professional work media platforms like LinkedIn. Also, candidates should share a link to GitHub so a technical specialist can review their examples of completed projects and evaluate their working experience.
Besides hard skills, a freelance Ruby on Rails developer should have a robust set of soft skills. Specialists who can’t manage their working time and communicate clearly won’t be that big of a help. So it is crucial to check candidates for such skills too:
- Elevated communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to think outside the box and make unusual decisions that would work perfectly
- Critical thinking and logical reasoning
- Independence yet the ability to work in a team
These soft skills can be checked during interviews and using previous company feedback to hire Ruby on Rails developer who will be a great option for the job.
Top Interview Questions to ask while hiring a Ruby on Rails developer
Preparation for a technical interview takes a good deal of time and planning. Let’s go through a list of main interview questions and answers that will assess candidates’ skills and domain knowledge.
- 1. Describe the core features of the Ruby on Rails framework.
- Fast-paced software development
- Enhanced scalability with quality output
- Reliable and secure
- Three environments: default development, testing, and production one
- Vast and active community.
- 2. Name software design patterns of the framework.
The most popular ones are Service Objects, View Objects, Form Objects, Value Objects, Observer pattern, Policy Objects, etc.
- 3. Which Ruby gems do you use?
There is no correct answer to this question. But it will show whether the developer has experience using gems which is essential for evaluation.
- 4. Please list a couple of typical Rails mistakes that result in longer load time.
These are the lack of indexes on columns in the database, an excessive number of gems, setting the read_timeout value too high, etc.
- 5. Explain Polymorphic Association in the framework and give an example.
Polymorphic Association is an ActiveRecord association that connects a database model to multiple other models.
It would be better if a technical lead could participate in the interview process to avoid misunderstanding.
Hiring a freelancer vs. hiring a part-time Ruby developer through an outstaffing agency
Depending on the business’s goals, budget limits, project features and other preferences, companies may choose whether to hire Ruby on Rails developer freelance based or for a part-time. There’s also an option to search for a developer on their own or let a qualified outstaffing agency help with that.
Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of both options.
Hiring a Freelance Ruby developer
- good for short-term projects
- reducing costs for office, paid vacancy
- paying only for tracked working hours
- time spent on searching for the right candidate
- quality of the project depends on one developer and his responsibility
- managing a developer on your own
Hiring a part-time Ruby developer through an outstaffing company
- reducing time on hiring and onboarding
- getting a trustworthy highly qualified developer as agency is interested in long-term cooperation
- fixed payment according to contract
- negligent outstaffing companies on the market so checking the reviews before signing a contract is a must
Overall, every option has its nuances, a company should choose which is most suitable.
But there’s one thing to keep in mind: if a hiring side doesn’t have a technical background it can be very challenging to choose the best freelance Ruby programmer among hundreds of candidates out there. In this case, there’s a definite need in an outstaffing qualified team. Otherwise, a company will lose a lot.
Top sites for hiring part time Ruby developers
For hiring online, any company can use relevant freelancing platforms and hiring companies. Here’s a list of the most popular and decent ones with a wide list of Ruby developer freelance CVs.
The most famous worldwide website for teamwork with designers, designers, advertising managers, authors, and also other freelance experts.
Upwork uses a huge base of contacts, so it takes some time to discover something worth there.
All experts have a history of completed jobs, CVs, as well as assessments with scores.
The freelance system is closed to the public. A Ruby on Rails freelance developer has to complete a test as well as verify their specialist skills to be noted on the website.
The software development company uses versatile and practical outstaff services. With an extensive database of CVs and also well-set employment processes, Mobilunity prepares to give you with a Ruby developer in the short-term. The company will certainly do all meetings as well as management issues. You will get top-level internet advancement services, like hundreds of Mobilunity customers.
What is Ruby freelance developer salary
Regarding freelance Ruby developer hourly rate, it differs among countries and qualification level. Below there is an average monthly net rate for you to consider.
*Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
Numbers show that the most cost-efficient option is to hire a part time Ruby on Rails developer from Ukraine.
Mobilunity is a reliable provider of Ruby on Rails Development
Mobilunity is a Ukrainian company with western management and also global distribution. It offers different collaboration types, consisting of consulting solutions, on-demand and long-term cooperation via the outstaffing model.
Mobilunity is a trustworthy agency for growing companies for a number of reasons:
- Perfect track record
Businesses from Germany, Switzerland, Israel, Japan, the U.S.A. trust Mobilunity with their projects. Qrates, Byrd, Zenchef, as well as Esurance are amongst them. You can inspect their testimonials on the Mobilunity internet site or Clutch.co.
- Dedicated team
With 12+ years of experience as well as 40+ effective tasks, the business acquired competence in different industries as well as organization domain names. It supplies effective software advancement solutions that totally meet customers’ company demands.
- Smooth interaction
The collaboration in the distributed teams is well-established. With a high degree of organizational values and also clear cooperation processes, Mobilunity is the best option for temporary or long-term collaboration. It’s a flexible as well as reputable service companion.