Important Information to Note Before You Hire Full Stack Developer
In today’s fast-growing environment and emerging technologies, it is the full-stack development that plays a crucial role when it comes to creating a user-driven well-built software. By combining front-end and back-end processes with data maintenance and remarkable user experience, full-stack developers are able to create remarkable complex applications, so no wonder that they are in high demand nowadays. In this post, we will discuss what is full stack web development, the advantages of hiring full-stack specialists, and the benefits of full stack programming for your needs.
Main Points of Full Stack Development
So, what does full stack mean in programming? Full stack software development is understood as a way to build a product using front-end, server-side, and back-end technologies by the same programming specialist. Therefore, when we talk about what’s a full stack developer Node JS capable of, we mean a highly-experienced programmer with a strong knowledge of all three technologies mentioned.
According to this article, the term “web development” has been widely used since 2004 thanks to Tim O’Reilly and Dale Dougherty; however, it was initially suggested by Darcy DiNucci much earlier, in 1999. Full stack development was previously associated with web development and got a clear definition thanks to Randy Schmidt only in 2008.
Front-end development part relates to the user experience of the launched software through visual components and user-friendly interface of the web app, its logical operation, and responsive design. By writing a code that basically creates the visual appearance of the application, front-end specialists help users to interact with the app in an expected way. The most used front-end technologies are the following:
- HTML is a markup-based language used to prepare website layouts and allow browsers to display the website correctly
- CSS is the technology for design development including all colors, fonts, backgrounds, buttons, etc.
- SASS, or the semantically awesome style sheet, is used to preprocess CSS code and make it shorter and cleaner. Moreover, its internal settings allow using variables and extended properties of CSS.
And here are the additional technologies that you may meet on the web checking information about front-end development:
- React Router v4 is the latest technology used for developing single page applications and the experience with React Router makes the developer look even more proficient with web app development.
- Redux is used more and more widely nowadays, being a great solution to operate big applications with numbers of call back functions required to implement changes in main components from child ones. Although many programmers still use React for these needs, being familiar with Redux makes the life much easier both for full stack coders and their clients.
- Git, as well as Github, or GitLab are remarkable points in any full stack programmer resume and not a lot of programmers can boast such mark. Github allows to track code, update your projects, and even contribute to other open source products.
On another front, back-end development operates with the functionality of the software and creates a bridge between the architecture logic and the user that receives a defined response for his request through the web app. Here are the technologies related to the back-end environment:
- MongoDB is a document-oriented NoSQL database for Node JS app that works with JSON file format to store and operate with a huge amount of data. Among SQL databases, MongoDB is the most secure and probably the fastest one, thus, most of the full stack coders prefer to use it. Also, it is worth mentioning that MongoDB is a free open source database that can be used for cross-platform development, big data management, fast performance, and such flexible application that is not available for any older database. Moreover, if you connect your web app with MongoDB through Mongoose, you will get even more benefits of this technology. Mongoose is a supplementing data modeling library that allows creating models and different shapes of MongoDB files which is extremely useful.
- Socket.IO allows developers to a range helps you create bi-directional communications in real time with web sockets which reduce the development time and amount of code significantly. It is a useful tool for any real-time features for web applications that are often required for project development
- PassportJS is a helpful library that supports user authentication with such popular social services like Google, Facebook, Linkedin, etc. Instead of growing through separate documentation of each service, developers can just use PassportJS
Looking at all these technologies listed, you probably don’t wonder anymore why there are not many full stack developers in the market, how much time and efforts does it take to become a full stack programmer, and why full stack engineer salary rates are bigger that front-end or back-end specialists gain. Now, let’s take a closer look at the full stack development market and what projects full-stack programmers can manage greatly.
How to Choose Between Full Stack Programmer vs. Full Stack Development Company
Based on the recent Stack Overflow Developer Survey, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that 48.2% of 100,000 interviewed developers called themselves as full stack specialists. Of course, the number of real experts in the field is much smaller, but as the full stack development is in high demand nowadays and full stack developer salary rates exceed the rates of common front-end or back-end coders. There are numbers of companies from small startups to tech giants interested in hiring full-stack specialists.
It is worth noting that often, the companies have a different understanding of what a full-stack developer capable of. Ones expect from the programmer to specialize in every possible technology related to front-end and back-end, while others require at least to be familiar with the most popular, trending, and widely-used approaches. Therefore, it is important that the expectations and the technical requirements of the employer meet the qualification and the working experience of the employee. It makes sense that the full stack salary is directly proportional to the relevant experience and knowledge.
Usually, a well-qualified full stack developer should be proficient (or at least, to have a general knowledge) with the following activities related to the software development:
- Server- and network-based environment
- Database-related queries
- API requests
- Back-end technologies
- UI/UX features
- Quality assurance, etc
The demand for a full stack programmer or a full stack company is usually caused by several key requirements and expectation related to this position. You probably need to hire full stack developer if you look for:
- Multitasking specialist. Full stack programmers are in high demand not only because they know a lot of different technologies related to front-end and back-end development but because they can perform different tasks at the same time, even if they are related to different parts of the project development. Multitasking is a vital skill for full stack specialist and a desirable skill for employers
- Versatile expert at an affordable cost. Often, companies have a limited budget for a web app development, and here comes a full stack coder, general handyman. If you compare full stack developer salary and the amount of money needed for hiring a development company, or different specialists proficient with front-end and with the back-end, you will notice the benefit of hiring a full stack programmer immediately. Though full stack specialist rates are usually bigger that front-end or back-end coders require, it is still cheaper to hire the only one expert who can operate different technologies and approaches.
- Product manager. Full stack programmers are well-known for their product management skills that occur from their diverse experience. They are the ones that can create the technical specification and build the architecture for the developing project by combining engineering prompts and business requirements. In other words, what is a full stack developer? It is a professional that can serve as a bridge between the business and development parts.
- CTO or even a Co-Founder. It is a common case when a business owner has a great idea and approximately sees how it should be realized, but lacks a technical specialist and a partner to start working on the idea. Therefore, businesses often look for full stack programmers to hire, so they could have only one person responsible for the technical part of the project experienced in a variety of technologies. In this case, it is important to schedule several-stage interviews with potential candidates to identify the one that fully shares your vision of the future product.
And it is a good idea to hire a full stack development company if you plan to create a giant project within the limited time and you have enough money to speed up the development process by signing a contract with a company with a perfect expert team that can start working immediately. Of course, by hiring a company you get a number of specialists whose cumulative knowledge and experience definitely beat what a single full-stack web developer can offer. So, it is important to understand what amount of work should be done for realizing your project, so then you could decide whether one full stack coder would be enough for the development process or you need a dedicated full stack development team to take the reins.
Comparing Full Stack Developer Salary Rates in Different Countries
Surely it must have dawned on you that an average full stack developer salary depends on many factors from the skills and knowledge to the previous working experience and the country the employee lives and works in. Now, when you know what is a full stack programmer, it is time to move to the salary point. We prepared compelling evidence of how the full stack software engineer salary rates can vary depending on the country, so you could consider hiring both local and remote employee to develop and launch your project.
Let’s start with Junior full stack developer salary rates. As you can see from the information below, the average salary for full stack developer from Switzerland is the biggest one followed by programmer rates from the United States (according to Payscale.com):
- Switzerland – CHF 82,224 ($82,187)
- the US – $65,737
- Germany – €38,336 ($43,478)
- Canada – C$49,175 ($37,433)
- Australia – AU$52,242 ($37,238)
- France – €32,030 ($36,326)
- Netherlands – €31,399 ($35,611)
- the UK – £23,221 ($30,311)
- Ukraine – $24,870
If compare Senior full stack developer salary rates, the order of the countries changes a bit; however, the Swiss and American full stack coders get the highest income and the Ukrainian specialists still can be hired at the most affordable cost. Take a look at these annual rates:
- Switzerland – CHF 96,365 ($96,374)
- the US – $75,091
- Germany – €59,280 ($67,232)
- Canada – C$63,976 ($48,700)
- Australia – AU$67,972 ($48,450)
- Netherlands – €42,271 ($47,941)
- France – €35,771 ($40,569)
- the UK – £30,750 ($40,139)
- Ukraine – $38,000
Makes sense that the freelance full stack developer hourly rate differs the same way depending on the country the developer works and lives in. And it is even difficult to compare full stack programmer salary rates in Western Europe and the US because the income of a developer from Germany is about twice as big as a French coder earns. Apparently, such comparison shows that the Ukrainian full-stack developers have the lowest rates among the developers of the same level and experience. Both Junior and Senior full stack developers from Ukraine can be hired at an acceptable cost. Just imagine – you can get a credible expert working remotely on our project two or three times cheaper than hiring a local employee that may lack some knowledge. Thus, it is definitely worth hiring a Ukrainian full stack application developer.
What Skills Should a Well-Qualified Full-Stack Web Developer Have?
When you want to hire full stack developer, obviously you need to understand what skills and knowledge the programmer should have to be reliable, experienced, and, most importantly, extremely helpful for your particular project. So, what is a full stack software engineer? As mentioned before, it is a programmer with a strong knowledge of both front-end and back-end approaches and not only that. Take a look at a minimum skill set for a well-experienced full-stack web developer:
- A bunch of programming languages. The most popular server-side programming languages are Java, Python, and Ruby, but there are many more other ones used for web app development
- Strong knowledge of a variety of databases. Such databases like MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle are commonly used by full-stack software developers.
- Basic UI/UX experience. If a full stack developer has experience with building UI/UX design, you can be sure that you see a broad specialist. At least, a full stack developer should be familiar with basic principles of prototype and UI/UX design
- Good server understanding. Experience with Linux OS is useful for maintaining virtual servers such as Apache or Nginx
- Experience with API (REST & SOAP). API or web services knowledge is highly desirable for full stack specialists because it broadens the possibilities for what is full stack programming used.
Besides all mentioned skills beneficial for full stack web programming, we will look at the front-end and back-end part more carefully. When we talk about the real front-end knowledge stated in a full stack engineer resume, we mean the following:
- React (or Angular, Vue JS, Redux etc)
- React Router (the latest is v4, for Single Page Applications)
- Babel (for converting ES6 code to ES5)
Of course, the more technologies, platforms, and tools the programmer knows, the higher full stack developer salary is. But if you are looking for a versatile specialist, be prepared to pay the relevant amount of money. Fortunately, we have already provided you with the information on where to find a great web developer with full stack experience at an adequate cost. Now, let’s remind you of the back-end technologies which are equally important:
- NodeJS, ExpressJS
The most popular tasks for a full-stack web developer include:
- compose the overall architecture based on the client’s technical specification
- manage all stages of the project development
- develop back-end part in Python, PHP, Java, etc
- team management and communication with the client
- test and improve the product based on test results and client’s feedback
- complete quality unit tests per request
- evaluate, develop, and debug database-based queries, data structures, and other algorithms
- include security protection
- monitor the performance of the launched web app
- troubleshoot the web app within the shortest time
Now, when you have a grasp of the skills and activities associated with full stack programming, it is time to compose a job offer and prepare for review the first reviewed full stack engineer resume.
How to Evaluate Full Stack Engineer Resume?
First of all, you need to consider and clearly state and consider the main duties and responsibilities of the future employee. Probably, you want to include a degree in a technical field (preferably in computer engineering) and more than one year experience working in a full stack development company. For example, in the vacancy description you can mention:
- Full stack application development
- Software development (full life-cycle)
For a well-experienced full-stack programmer, it should not be a problem to work with full life-cycle project development. They can join the project at any stage of development, but it is easier both for employers and employees to work together from the start and till the product is ready for launch because every full stack developer has his own groundwork and approaches for building and maintaining complex technology architecture, features, and additional options. Therefore, it is easier for the same person or team to analyze, create, and deploy the software from the very beginning to the very end. But it is not an issue for full stack developers to test and deploy changes to the product developed by other programmers initially, it just takes time to figure out the core structure and important details
- Testing & Analysis
Following the previous section, it is worth pointing out that the data analysis is a significant part of what is full stack programming used for. Full stack developers have to constantly evaluate the development process based on the client’s requirements and performed tests. What is more, an experienced programmer should be able to offer an alternative solution shortly in case the initial development plan goes wrong
- Team management and time management skills
When you are ready to hire full stack developer, you need to be sure that this person can join the existing development team and probably lead it through the whole development process. If there will be the only person working on building your project, proven evidence of strong time management skills will be required, so you need to mention it in the job description from the start.
- Technical collaboration
A well-organized technical environment is a must for full stack programming. Therefore, everyone involved in the development process should be kept updated regarding the newest changes and implementations, and regular online group chats and meetings are necessary for a smooth development process. Full stack developers represent a huge part of the project creation and, thus, they should be able to communicate with other branches of the project, technical vendors, suppliers, and the employer.
With these activities in mind, you can compose a job offer and look for reliable candidates. Besides a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer programming or related fields and at more than one year of proven working experience mentioned, a good full stack engineer resume should include the following lines:
- UI/UX development – being front-end and back-end specialists at the same time, full stack developer should be familiar with HTML and CSS technologies which make a basis for web app design and content formatting
- Core development needs structurization – full stack developers should know how to structure, organize, and build an application from the main code and databases used to the design features and proper file hosting
- Project management – full stack developers should have a long-time experience managing work of other developers of building up his own working schedule with no time wasted
- Technical writing skills – full-stack programmers are usually in charge of describing the technical specification and delegating roles to other developers or setting development priorities for themselves. Therefore, experience with composing functional specifications is always a plus
- Communication skills – as mentioned before, full stack programmers need strong communication skills to work with the development team, other departments, and the client.
- Problem-solving skills – it follows the previous point because the full stack programming specialist should be able to handle any technical and operating problem that may occur during the development process and further maintenance.
At Indeed, you can find full stack developer resume examples that will help you to create the impression of the most in-demand skills and experience that every reliable full stack programmer sees a benefit in having.
Can I Hire Full Stack Developer at Mobilunity?
After this comprehensive article, you probably got what is full stack web development and whether you need a full-stack specialist or a full-stack development company. If you still some concerns regarding your project development, need advice or professional assistance with the development process at any stage, feel free to leave us a message or fill the quote. Mobilunity is a well-known full stack development company with a number of successfully released projects and we can help you with creating and building up your idea. Still thinking about it? Reach us and see how great the full stack software development can be performed.