Software Development Company in Switzerland: Finding the Right Team
Switzerland is considered a country where scholars of various fields aspire, as well as employees of financial industry and different technologies. Many developers are impressed by the possibility of finding a job in this country, and also get an enviable line of software development companies in Europe. In such a high-tech country, the IT industry is well developed also, which is proven by the presence of large software companies in Switzerland. Switzerland is also an attractive country for the bespoke software development company. According to the annual reports of the European Patent Office, Switzerland has been leading by the number of applications for patents per capita for several years. According to the same EPO report for 2017, the number of applications from Switzerland, in the field of Digital Communication and Computer Technology, is 1% of the total number of applications of this field in the whole world. It may seem a small part, but it is worth noting the size of the country and a number of inhabitants. It is also important to understand that in this race, Switzerland is inferior to such IT leaders as the USA, China, Japan, the Republic of Korea, etc.
The IT Market in Switzerland
The IT market in Switzerland is a thriving and dynamic sector. It continues to demonstrate strong growth and resilience. With a growth rate of 6.59%, it stands as a vital contributor to the country’s economy. There are many software development companies in Switzerland so you can easily hire the professional you need. Here are some key statistics and insights that shed light on country’s IT industry:
- Number of IT Companies: The country boasts a robust IT ecosystem. There are approximately 17,000 IT companies Switzerland operating within its borders. These companies span various domains, from software development and cybersecurity to IT consulting and hardware manufacturing.
- IT Professionals: The Swiss IT industry relies on a talented workforce of approximately 199,000 IT professionals. Switzerland tech companies have no shortage of professionals. You can find any specialist here, from just a software development company in Switzerland to top software companies in Switzerland. In addition, the demand for IT specialists in Switzerland is expected to continue to grow. Projections indicate growth to 236,200 professionals by 2026.
- Tech Export Value: Switzerland’s IT prowess extends beyond its borders, as evidenced by its impressive tech export value, which stands at 38.19 billion. This significant export value reflects the global competitiveness of Switzerland IT companies. It also showcases the country’s reputation for quality and reliability in the tech sector.
- Popular Programming Languages: Top IT companies in Switzerland prefer several programming languages. They play a crucial role in developing cutting-edge software and applications for a website development company in Switzerland. Some of the most popular programming languages include PHP, .NET, Python, Java and Lua.
The Most Suitable Cantons for Search Software Development Company in Switzerland
Switzerland consists of 26 independent cantons. Each canton has its own laws, authorities and the government. Also in each canton there are entrepreneurs of predominantly one industry. The Swiss economy consists of clusters. This is a mechanism where small, medium and large businesses work in geographical proximity to each other, which allows entrepreneurs to share their experience, conclude partnerships, develop infrastructure. Each IT software development company in Switzerland will successfully develop only in certain cantons. The IT sector of the country is mainly located in eight cantons: Jura, Neuchatel, Valais, Vaud, Geneva, Fribourg and Zurich.
Average Salary for Software Developer in Switzerland
Software development services in Switzerland are available in many cities. So you can find your ideal specialist quite easily. But there are several main cities where the country’s best personnel gather. Let’s compare the average salary of a software developer in Switzerland.
Zurich is the financial center of Switzerland. It is also a renowned technology hub that offers competitive average salaries for software developers. On average, software developers in Zurich can expect to earn a significant income. Software developer Zurich usually got about $120,000 per year. Salary depends on experience and specialization. The city is home to a significant number of developers, approximately 30,000.
Geneva is known for its international organizations and cultural diversity. The city also provides favorable conditions for software developers. So many top tech companies in Switzerland find their specialists here. The average salary for software developers in Geneva is around $117,300. There are an estimated 10,000 software developers living in Geneva.
Basel is famous for its pharmaceutical and life sciences industries. It offers competitive compensation to software developers. The average price to hire developers in Switzerland who based in Basel is typically around $101,000 per year. The city is home to a significant developer community of approximately 8,000 professionals.
Bern is the capital of Switzerland. It provides software developers with a stable and attractive working environment. The average salary for software developers in Bern is typically around $113,000 per year. The city is home to approximately 6,000 software developers.
Lausanne is known for its thriving technology scene. Nevertheless many dot net development companies Switzerland are looking for professionals here. The city offers competitive compensation to software developers. On average, software developers in Lausanne can expect to earn around $95,000 per year. The city boasts a growing technology community of approximately 12,000 software professionals.
Predictions for the Future Switzerland Software Development
On behalf of the University of Bern, in 2017, a study was published on the topic Switzerland Software Industry Survey. In one of the sections of the study, the authors clarify the predictions, concerning the future growth of IT sector in the country. The expected growth in revenue of the Swiss software industry grew by 8.4% in 2017. It is expected that in 2019 the value will increase up to 14.2%. Also, the study mentions that the growth of subsectors increased by 4% in 2017 and will be 5% in 2019. According to the research, each IT company in Switzerland still has room to grow.
Why Software Companies in Switzerland Prefer to Hire Dedicated Developers?
As Switzerland is a high-tech country, the demand for IT sector developers is great. For middle level developers, or even junior, it is possible for them to find the job in Switzerland also. Especially, if a candidate for a vacancy has experience in large and successful projects, then such a developer will always find a job. Most often, Switzerland software companies offer temporary contracts, but this is normal for professionals of any industry.
Average Developer Salary From Junior to Senior
Cost of Hiring Software Developer in Switzerland vs Ukraine
One of the reasons why middle developers of the software Switzerland industry are given preference is wages. The average annual income of a Switzerland software developer is about $110,000. Annual software developer salary in Switzerland varies depending on the city. For example, in Geneva annual developer salary will be $110,000. In Zurich, IT companies will offer $111,000 of annual salary. In Basel, as a middle software developer with the average salary, you will get approximately $100,000. Taxes play a big role in the formation of the salary. The amount of taxation also depends on each canton separately. In one of the cantons, it will be necessary to pay only about $4,500 taxes. However, for example, in Geneva, the size of the tax payment would have been 2.5 or 3 times higher. Therefore, many Swiss companies prefer to cooperate with dedicated teams of other countries. One such country is Ukraine with an average software developer annual salary of $30,000 only.
* Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
Mobilunity: Your Gateway to Excellence in Tech Hiring for Switzerland
Mobilunity is an established player in the global digital talent market, which includes Switzerland, and is well-known for its proficiency in locating and supplying top developers. Known as the “second Silicon Valley” due to its technological prowess, Ukraine’s software development sector has attracted considerable interest on a global scale. Businesses in Switzerland and other countries have benefited from this by routinely hiring Ukrainian specialized teams and teams. Mobilunity is your go-to resource if you need a highly qualified CTO on-demand, a competent Ruby engineer, or a Dynamics consultant for your upcoming projects in Switzerland. Reach out to us right now to take advantage of our vast talent pool and advance your tech projects.
Programming software development of Ukraine’s developers is very popular among other countries. Of course, the hiring cost is very small. However, often there are articles of authoritative magazines saying that Ukraine is considered the second silicon valley. Companies in many countries, including Swiss, understand that, therefore, abundantly use Ukrainian dedicated teams and dedicated companies. Contact us for providing you with well-qualified CTO on demand, Ruby engineer or Dynamics consultant for your upcoming projects!
Our Main Service Models
Mobilunity offers three key services:
Dedicated Development Teams
- We create dedicated development teams in Kyiv, Ukraine, customized to your needs.
- These teams work full-time and are on our payroll but managed by you.
- You handle day-to-day team management, while we oversee HR and communication.
- Ideal for long-term partnerships, it gives you control, loyalty, and cost savings.
- Flexible consulting for various needs.
- Perfect for short-term projects, specialized expertise, or part-time help.
- Pay only for the hours you need, no extra costs.
- Access rare skill sets quickly, including Senior-level specialists.
- Comprehensive talent acquisition, locally or globally.
- Proven success even in challenging markets like Japan.
- We source, screen, and present candidates matching your needs.
- Build high-performing teams efficiently with our tailored approach.
Hire developers in other Countries
Expand your team’s potential by hiring talented developers from different countries, gaining access to a diverse range of skills and cultural perspectives. This approach enriches your projects with global insights and fosters a dynamic, innovative working environment.
- What’s the typical salary range for software developers in Switzerland?
Software developer salaries in Switzerland vary by experience and location. On average, they range from $101,000 to $120,000 per year in cities like Zurich and Geneva.
- Are language requirements essential for hiring software developers in Switzerland?
While English is prevalent, proficiency in one of Switzerland’s official languages (German, French, or Italian) can be helpful, though not always mandatory, especially in international tech companies.
- What’s the standard recruitment process for hiring software developers in Switzerland?
It typically involves resume screening, technical interviews, coding tests, and practical exercises. Visa and work permit considerations are also essential, particularly for non-EU/EEA candidates.
- What visa and work permit considerations apply to foreign software developers in Switzerland?
EU/EEA citizens have easier access, while non-EU/EEA candidates may need sponsorship and must meet specific criteria. Employers often assist in the visa process.
- Where are the main cities for hiring software developers in Switzerland?
Key cities are Zurich, Geneva, Basel, Bern, and Lausanne. Each of them offers a diverse talent pool and various tech opportunities to cater to different company needs.