Pros and Cons of Hiring a Freelance Web Developer
Web development is a process of designing, creating, and maintaining web apps or pages. It covers everything that goes into the creation of a website for the internet/intranet. A freelance web developer completes various tasks from coding particular front-end or back-end elements to database management. One of the pros of hiring a freelance web developer is the access to their specialized expertise in progressive web app development services, which can help you create modern, responsive, and feature-rich web applications.
In this guide, you’ll learn why it is beneficial to hire a freelance web developer and how to find a suitable professional for your company.
How Popular is Web Development?
The first pages were created in 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee and Robert Cailliau. Since 1993, the web was open to the general public. And the growth in the number of websites has only been speeding up since then. Currently, there are more than 1.14 billion websites online and the number increases every day.
In modern days every business needs a strong online presence, so a full time or part time web developer remote is a demanded specialist. Web development is the foundation of building such a presence, increasing brand awareness, generating leads, getting a new audience, and boosting sales.
Why is it so crucial? Here are some statistics to consider:
- About 50% of mobile users will use the company’s website to shop because they do not want to download an app;
- According to statistics, 48% of users decide on a business’s credibility based on the website design;
- Also, 8 out of 10 people will leave the site and stop using it if it doesn’t display correctly on the device;
- About 23% of small businesses do not have a website. 24% of them claim that it has to do with them not knowing how to create it.
Web development allows for the creation of a unique, functional, and responsive solution, which helps achieve business objectives. A team of dedicated web designers can bring almost any vision to life and make it usable for potential customers.
Benefits of Professional Web Development
An experienced web developer freelance ensures that a company can access all the benefits of this process, namely:
- Ability to reach wide audiences;
- Opportunity to build an authentic online presence for a business;
- Boosting brand visibility and awareness;
- Flexibility in terms of design, functionality, presentation, and usage;
- Ability to reach different business goals.
Website Builders vs Web Development
Nowadays there are several website builders and solutions that anyone without coding experience can use. Among the most popular ones are WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, and Shopify.
Let’s compare them to professional development to highlight when a company might hire freelance web developer.
Website Builders Advantages:
- They are quick and can be used by almost anyone;
- It is an affordable option;
- You get automatic server management;
- You get some third-party integrations based on the provider;
- There are decent customization opportunities;
- You can get a site up and running relatively easily and quickly.
However, such solutions have significant limitations, especially when compared to hiring freelance web developer with extensive experience.
Website Builders Disadvantages:
- Limited SEO opportunities. Such solutions have some SEO functionality, but it is not tailored to specific needs. Those opportunities are pretty generic, which significantly reduces the growth opportunities when it comes to organic traffic;
- Customization is limited. Although you can change a lot of elements, basically you get the same design features as anyone else using this builder. It is not unique or made for your business. It is a generic design that fits a multitude of needs;
- Template-based designs are suitable for small platforms. But they do not work well for big sites. So if you are working with a growth mindset, this is not a good option in the long run. Such builders can only go two levels deep when it comes to navigation and architecture. And there is often a limit to the number of pages you might have.
- The tech support is also quite limited as it deals usually with generic issues;
- It is hard to move away from it when your business grows. Some builders do not allow exporting the site’s content at all (Wix). So when you need a bigger and more functional platform, you’ll need to start from scratch.
Sites created with builders do not perform as well as custom ones created by a freelance web programmer. They are not optimized, which results in a slower loading speed, which is a huge deal.
The main difference is that with a website builder you get a generic template you can somewhat customize. But you are limited in all options and functionalities to a significant degree. A partnership with website development consultants and professional developers offers the creation of a tailor-made solution that fits all your specific needs.
That’s why the majority of companies decide to find a freelance web developer, who can build the exact platform they want. Even if they opt for WordPress, they might hire a freelance WordPress web developer to create a functional solution based on this CMS.
Are You Looking for an Experienced Freelance Web Developer in Ukraine? Contact Mobilunity!
The Importance of UI/UX in Web Development
Another major reason for partnering with a part time web developer is the opportunity to create excellent UI/UX for the platform. They stand for User Interface and User Experience. It is one of the crucial parts of successful web development.
UI/UX is one of the first things a user sees on the platform. It shapes the interactions and satisfaction with what a platform has to offer. It has to be appealing, usable, and intuitive.
According to Forester, a good UI can boost a site’s conversions by 200% and proper UX can raise conversions by 400%. Also, the study shows, that every dollar invested in UX design brings an ROI in the range of $2-100. So it is something that is going to pay off.
Another research claims that 75% of people will decide on a platform’s credibility solely from the way it looks and aesthetics. And 57% of users will not recommend a platform with a bad mobile design.
A web developer part time can create UI/UX design that will satisfy customers and boost engagement and sales.
If you find freelance web developer with suitable skills, they can work on the major components of UI/UX.
Collaboration with a professional freelance web application developer offers major benefits in terms of UI/UX, such as an increase in user engagement, proper brand representation, better SEO, and a boost in conversions.
How Your Project Can Benefit From Hiring a Website Developer?
Outsourcing enables you to unlock the potential that was previously unreachable. This enables you to conduct website development tasks that establish the company’s digital transformation speed. Appropriate staff at the appropriate moment is essential for properly carrying out the website development activities. Long story short, if you hire freelance website developer who suits your project perfectly, you’ll unlock a set of benefits. Below you’ll see which advantages you get with the right specialist.
- Building an MVP
The importance of minimum-value products can not be overestimated. The main set of website features can be used to demonstrate to potential customers and business investors the advantages of buying from you or building a partnership with you. Gaining the appropriate market entry at the right moment might open up a lot of business prospects for you to boost your earnings. With the right freelance web developer website MVP version can be done in short terms.
- Finding a missing link in your team
If there’s a lack of technical skills, you should think about hiring a freelance website developer who can fit in perfectly and help implement a project successfully.
Moreover, a skilled specialist can implement technology-advanced solutions that you have not considered before. Therefore, more benefits and higher profit. And all at a fair price.
- Maintaining the progress of your project
With website developer freelance you get professional services to digitize your business. When done correctly, the digital transition can accelerate your business’s growth as by offering your clients high-quality services, you can open up several revenue sources. With a freelance developer website will keep the constant profit flow from these sources.
- Gaining profits from integrated SEO algorithms
Webpages need SEO because it makes it easier for users to find specific websites in search results. With a dedicated web developer freelance website SEO strategy will be easily implemented. Later, you can add ad copies and articles with inserted SEO keywords, alt-texts, etc, but for now, a developer should establish a solid foundation with correct built-in SEO algorithms.
- Getting ongoing support and maintenance
The collaboration with the web developer doesn’t end after the product is created. This guarantees that you will always have an expert you can turn to in case something goes wrong. With the help of an experienced developer freelance website will be free of bugs, user-friendly, and regularly updated.
- Reducing costs of website development
Last but not least, costs. Depending on different types of websites, design styles, and features the website cost can be quite pricey. With a freelance web developer website creation will be less expensive as you reduce expenses on office rent, compensation for vacation, and other peculiarities of in-house staffing.
Reasons to Hire Web Developer Freelance
If you are wondering whether a freelance web developer for hire is an optimal solution for your business, here are the main reasons to consider.
The main reason to hire a web developer freelance is the opportunity to get a unique, functional, and optimized platform. Such an expert will create a custom solution that fits your needs and incorporates all requirements. This is a key to a successful online presence and business growth.
A part time remote web developer is more affordable than an in-house hire as such specialists work from home and you only pay for what you need. So there are no employee-related disbursements like equipment or onboarding.
Also, investing in professional web development once is more affordable than using a website builder and then paying for upgrades, integrations, or moving away to a new platform.
Usually, a remote part time web developer is motivated to do the job quickly and perfectly. It is project-based cooperation, which means a shorter turnaround. And freelancers are quite flexible with their schedules as they manage their time individually.
An excellent web developer part time remote is motivated to create something unique not only because of business requirements but also because it serves as a showcase of their skills and professionalism.
Responsibilities, Skills and Tools of a Part-Time Web Developer Remote
To find a web developer freelance that fits your needs, one should know what skills and competencies to look for. Web programmers can serve one of three roles:
- Front-end programmer – works on the client side of an app;
- Back-end programmer – works on the server side of an app;
- Full Stack programmer – works on both sides.
Also, the professionals are separated into junior, middle, and senior programmers based on years of experience and level of skills.
The common duties and responsibilities of a part time junior web developer are:
- Creating mockups and prototypes
- Coding the website and all its features;
- Debugging the written code for smooth functionality;
- Optimizing the code for load speed and efficiency;
- Testing the applications and their features across browsers and devices;
- Researching the latest trends, technologies, and innovations in the field for maintenance and upgrades;
- Designing UI/UX with the best practices;
- Collaborating with other members of the team like designers, project managers, and stakeholders.
- Programming the navigation of the platform and categorizing the content;
- Managing the web hosting, domain, and email systems;
- Administrating content management system;
- Optimization of application performance and SEO.
Hard skills for a web programmer:
- Experience with code editing tools like Visual Studio Core;
- Deep knowledge of web programming frameworks like Foundation or Bootstrap (front-end) or Django and Ruby on Rails (back-end);
- Expertise in version control tools like Git;
- Knowledge of web server (Apache or Nginx);
- Proficiency in database management (MySQL or MongoDB);
- Expertise in cloud application platforms like Azure, AWS, or GCP.
The soft skills of such a specialist:
- Analytical and critical thinking;
- Time management and organization;
- Ability to constantly learn.
Top 5 Sites to Hire a Junior Web Developer Part Time
This is one of the biggest freelance platforms out there. It features all types of professionals, including web programmers. Here you can post a job and candidates will apply to complete it. You can choose a suitable candidate based on their skills, track record, and portfolio.
This platform features vetted specialists. Toptal tests their competencies and skills, so there are only credible freelancers. You are matched with suitable candidates based on your requirements. The database of specialists is smaller yet decent.
It is a great option for short-time collaboration. But it allows assembling a team of professionals as well, which is a plus. The platform also vets the candidates, so there is a lower risk of low-quality performance.
This is another website that tests candidates that are featured. You can search through programmers’ accounts to find a specialist for your project. After that, you can offer the job and the freelancer is free to accept or deny it. It is a safe website although it might take some time to find a programmer.
This platform has different functionality. It is an outstaffing agency that will find the programmers for you. You only need to apply for help and set the exact requirements for a candidate. Professional recruiters can find programmers easier and faster. They also can vet and test the skills and competencies so there are no risks.
Freelancers vs Outstaffing Agency: Comparison Table
When you are looking for part time web developer, there are two main options to choose from – working with freelancers or partnering with an outstaffing agency. Both are valid choices that come with pros and cons. So before you hire part time web developer for the project, have a look at this comparison table to figure out which model is optimal for your business.
|Time||It is much faster as expert recruiters can find suitable specialists easier and quicker||Time depends on how quickly you can find, interview, and vet candidates|
|Cost||It is budget-friendly as the rates in other countries are often lower. Also, outstaffing agencies take care of many employee-related disbursements.||It can be cost-efficient, but the rates depend on the particular specialist.|
|Guarantees||Agencies serve as a guarantor for the quality, timely delivery, and safety of the project||Although there is a contract, there are no guarantees of performance or quality|
|Flexibility||Cooperation is flexible, you can choose part-time or full-time engagement||High|
|Pros||Fast, flexible, efficient, secure, and easy. There are quality and performance guarantees. Also, you can focus on the core of the business while all the recruitment is taken care of.||Flexible, great talent pool, project-based cooperation, opportunity to save costs.|
|Cons||Possible time zone delays and cultural differences||Risk of losing a professional without the ability to replace them fast, risk of low-quality work, scaling up is extremely difficult as well as assembling a team for a project.|
The choice depends on what the business needs, however, it is often more efficient to work with an outstaffing agency as it is a safer and more reliable option.
5 Interview Questions for Wed Developers
1. Tell me about vulnerabilities of cookies and local storage
Cookies are necessary to “remember” user information so that a person doesn’t have to log in over and over again. This information is usually stored on the client side as it is standard practice to keep the server stateless. This comes with vulnerabilities as local storage can experience XSS attacks. Such attacks steal personal data, so local storage can be risky. Cookies offer another layer of protection to the data although they can be attacked too.
2. Tell me about HTML5 updates and new elements introduced
HTML5 is constantly updated and comes with new input types (color, date, week, month, DateTime-local, and email. The new form elements are datalist, keygen, meter, progress, and output.
The major new APIs in HTML5 are History, Page Visibility, User Timing, Battery Status, and Vibration. The five elements that support media are audio, video, source, track, and embed.
3. How HTML5 web storage works?
HTML5 offers Document Object Model Storage (DOM). Ir can be used to store data locally, on the client side. It is similar to cookies but faster and often more convenient. But it can never be used for any type of sensitive data as it comes with vulnerabilities and is not encrypted.
Overall, there are two types of web storage in HTML5 – local and session.
4. What is pair programming?
Pair programming, or simply pairing, means that two developers work together in the same workstation for increased speed and efficiency. One is writing the code and another one is monitoring each line.
5. Please explain what is AJAX?
The main advantage is that it allows an app to send and receive data asynchronously. So an application can exchange data without the necessity to reload the page.
Web Developer Freelance Rates
An hourly rate for a freelance web developer depends not only on the role, responsibilities, or experience. One of the major factors in the salary expectation is the geographical location of a professional. Here is a comparison table of hourly rates in 5 different countries.
*Ukrainian salaries are provided based on Mobilunity’s Recruitment Team research on the local job markets. All salaries are net and do not include the service fee (in case of hiring on a dedicated team model). The salaries are provided for comparison purposes and could be not entirely accurate. Contact us to know the exact cost of hiring a developer corresponding to the required parameters.
As one can see, the web developer cost per hour in Ukraine is more beneficial. Finding a professional there allows for saving the budget while getting expert help.
Mobilunity is Your Outstaffing Partner in Ukraine
Mobilunity is a Ukrainian outstaffing company with 10+ years of experience. We offer top-notch recruiting for international businesses. Our team of experts can easily find suitable web development specialists for your needs. No matter how rare the expertise you are looking for, we will recruit the best candidates for your business.
We also offer flexible cooperation – part-time or full-time employment. So you can enjoy the flexibility of freelancers while getting the quality and security guarantees of our agency.
Some of the clients we provided with dedicated teams and developers are Qrates (Japan), BYG-E (Denmark), Zenchef (France), Vayomar (Israel), and ICUC Social (Canada). We are happy to find excellent web developers for your company.