How Much Does It Cost to Manage Your Dedicated Development Team
Dedicated Development teams are virtual teams of skilled developers that are committed to completing a project. They are best suited for mid to long-term complex projects or projects that require expert technical maintenance over a period of time. Working with dedicated teams also provide the project manager with immense oversight of the project. Dedicated development teams are valuable, but what makes your team exceptional is a great manager! Let’s take a look what web developer rates they deserve.
When Should You Choose Dedicated Teams?
A dedicated team model carries its own challenges and peculiarities. Depending on the type of projects and your business goals, managing remote developers may not be the right way of collaboration.
You should consider working with dedicated teams when:
- You have a huge pool of projects. If you have a wide range of hands-on-deck tasks, hiring enough workforce to complete them will be time-consuming and expensive, similarly to managing a one man development team. Hiring a dedicated team helps free a manager’s hands while keeping the momentum going.
- You want to complete a project outside of the company’s core positioning. Managing a research and development team in-house in a field that is outside of your focus area is not a sensible investment since you might not want to keep an in-house team in the long run. The dedicated team is a low-commitment investment – you will be able to terminate the collaboration anytime.
- There’s no clear scope or timeline of the project. A dedicated team has the know-how to help conceptualize and validate the idea – you will know if the project resonates with the company’s goals before committing to it.
Tips to Manage Your Development Team
A team is a reflection of its leadership, and good management can turn capable virtual teams into great dedicated development teams. The best thing is that you don’t have to invent a bicycle – just use the best practices for managing a remote team to succeed. Below are just some action points that would bolster the handling of your team.
Plan Before You Do
Always have a plan before doing anything. Plan out the necessary details of your project beforehand; objectives, scope, timelines, deadlines, priorities, and other necessary details of your project. Having a clear plan as to the scope and limitations of your project will greatly aid you in hiring the best people for your project. How to work with remote team? Stick to the plan, add the slightest changes to the plan, if you have a big task, separate it to the smaller plan items. It will also work as a check-list for you.
Communicating Well is Essential
Before diving into your project, communicate to your team your vision for the project. This will help your team members understand act according to the goals you set for the project. Also, clearly expressing and discussing your expectations for the project and your team, along with tangible deliverables and deadlines, will help ensure that your team work according to your objectives for the project. Regular check-ins with your team will strengthen communication lines can be a platform for updates and feedback between you and your team. How to successfully manage a remote team? Talk not only about the work issues. Having some fun may also be useful. It will make people a real team. And it is much easier to work with friends in a relaxed atmosphere. To reinforce the communication, plan face to face meetings at least once a year. It will help team members to remember, that they are working with real people, but not with the pictures on the screen.
Encourage and Consider Feedback
Having a plan and a vision is good, but things will arise and may affect that vision. There is a good chance that your software developer team has worked for various other projects, thus would have a wealth of skill and experience. With regular communication with your team, they will have input and feedback on your project, encourage it and discuss it among yourselves. This not only improves communication between you and your team, but will also go towards improving your project. If you are looking for an effective way how to manage a large remote team – feedback and reflection are the things you need. Reflecting on the achieved results and troubles you face, the team will correct the mistakes (if there were any) and improve the quality of work. Showing support team members also have a possibility to become closer and make friends.
Make Timezones Your Ally
Working with virtual teams ensure that you have someone working on your project around the clock. Take advantage of this! If you have developers that is working ahead of you, make time to review their work and adjust your work and plans accordingly. And if you were in a timezone that is ahead of your developers, take the time to plan and organize for the needs of your developers. It is an easy way how a dedicated team can expedite projects. You can even build a team in such a way, that the programmers will be able to work consistently. With wise management, you have the possibility to organize a constant workflow and complete the project in a shorter time.
Be Proactive in Conflict Management
Conflicts in working with virtual teams are mostly due to lack of communication. Discuss your goals and vision for the project with your team, and consider their feedback when presenting your deliverables and timelines. Be flexible and open minded, but stick to your overall project goals! Be respectful, but honest. If issues arise, examine the root cause and work with your team to arrive an acceptable conclusion.
Don’t try to suppress the conflicts, because they can harm the teamwork and provoke the failure. How to make outsourcing IT successful? Try team building activities and informal communication. And if nothing works – don’t be afraid of changing the staff.
Evaluate Your Dedicated Team
If you want your project to grow and flourish, it is important to evaluate your employees. Even if they are remote. A proper evaluation can become a source of important information about the project and the team itself. The main tool for evaluation is performance analysis. However, for the remote employees’ evaluation, the things are different. The main difficulty here is the lack of interpersonal everyday interaction and communication. You still can apply some of the traditional evaluating methods in work with the dedicated developers, but we recommend to try other means as well.
How to evaluate a remote team of programmers:
- Give feedback often. People should know, that they are moving in the right (or not really) direction. It is also important for the remote employee to know, that you are satisfied with the work, have no issues and claims. And if you do have any, it is easier to fix everything at the beginning, but not when the work is almost done.
- Evaluate the quality, but not the time. Working with the remote employees, pay more attention to the accomplished tasks and their quality, rather than hours spent «at work».
- Evaluate outcomes. The best way to measure the efficiency of work is measuring outcomes. The easiest way to measure outcomes is to tell if the employee achieves measurable results.
- Set clear expectations and metrics. It is difficult to correspond to the unknown requirements or to achieve the unclear goals. Work with the remote developers is about being precise and clear with the expectations. Clear goals even help to avoid need for the micromanagement.
- Combine group and private reviews. Some workers may feel the pressure during the common meetings and for others, the individual evaluation is full of stress. Engage all the team members into the different forms of evaluation.
- Collect internal feedback. Let the team members evaluate the general teamwork, the work of their manager and a team lead, ask them for self-evaluation as well. Use two simple questions: what are the strength areas and where is a space for improvement for every group\person.
Work with a dedicated development team is specific. And you feel it even stronger if this is your first time to outsource. But the right evaluation will help to answer the eternal question: «Is ti going right?». It is also a way to improve the result and keep the whole team calm and relaxed during all the workflow. And the tips for working with a remote dev team will help here as well.
Top 7 Metrics to Measure the Performance of Your Dedicated Team
To ensure that your team provides the company with efficient deliverables, you need to establish a range of metrics that determine if you are managing developers effectively.
Here are the metrics we use at Mobilunity to make sure we’re managing developers at their peak efficiency. You can use them for performance tracking as well.
- Cost performance is helpful when managing a development team – it determines the value of the work your employees perform divided by the cost of accomplishing it (salary, rental expenses, software). After the project is complete, calculate the cost performance deviation to establish the precision of your estimates.
- Cycle time – the metrics are helpful for managing a team of developers as it measures the amount of time needed to complete a given stage of development. By capturing cycle time, you will be able to determine which stages of the product development are the most likely to be delayed, if there are the employees on the team that halt the progress and will increase the precision of the planning stage.
- Cost of quality – find out how much money the company loses dealing with poor code, tech debt, buggy products, or other project failures. If the cost of quality is high, focus on hiring a team that will complete your products with as few setbacks as possible, even if it implies higher salary investments.
- Requirements performance – a metric for managing developers that tracks to which extent the results of the project meet the requirements specified in business agreements. When calculating the index, take both functional (features of the product) and non-functional requirements into account.
- Employee satisfaction – to manage dedicated teams efficiently, make sure that the high quality of the end result doesn’t come at a cost of employees’ motivation and willingness to keep working with the company. To track if a dedicated team is satisfied with a collaboration, use such metrics as growth opportunities, stress, levels, turn-over rate, and the rate of complaints.
- Gross margin – the difference between all project expenses and all income generated after the project is complete. The metric is helpful for managing a developers team gives a big-picture view of whether or not the team did their best, the idea was the right one for the company, and the approach for achieving the desired outcome fell in line with the company’s business goals.
Customer satisfaction is a metric for measuring the quality of the product when managing IT development team units. To calculate the satisfaction level for any given project, you can take reviews or customer surveys into account, along with the amount of revenue a project generated, the number of returning and lost clients. The notation for customer satisfaction scores is a value from 1 to 100, from the lowest to the highest satisfaction level.
How Much Would it Cost?
With the high demand for remote dedicated teams, web developer rates around the world have been competitive. We found that it is most cost-efficient to hire dedicated development teams from Ukraine, which clocks at an annual average of $29,163.
The table above outlines the the average IT salary, including coder salary, in Ukraine.
What about the other countries? Let’s compare the cost for the median software developers in different countries:
- In the United States, the average software developer’s salary is $70,618 per year.
- In Canada, the average software developer’s salary is $49,050 per year.
- In Germany, the average software developer’s salary is $54,195 per year.
- In Switzerland, the average software developer’s salary is $95,953 per year.
Hiring the dedicated development team, you can choose the programmers from any country: choose by quality and skills, and get a lower price as a pleasant bonus.
Quality Developers And Good Leadership Make Excellent Teams
Pairing cost-efficiency and good team management, hiring or building your dedicated development team would be most suited to you project needs. And with the most cost-effective approach to this is hiring dedicated teams from Ukraine, Mobilunity will help you! Mobilunity cap provide you with expert and well vetted dedicated development teams that will be committed to achieving your project goals, and at a manageable cost!